What do Atheists think happens when you die ?

I appreciate that, but believing in the spirits of dead people and accepting that after death, the human soul can return in another body, yet dismissing the existance of god/s:confused:

Buddhism manages it quite well.

Normally I let these things go, Jobee, but you are putting forward a long held and at the very least, debatable view of Christianity.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one. But given that women were witnesses to the death and the first witnesses to Jesus resurrection in a society that held women's testimony to be of no value, this was radical then and helps to refute this belief. You might wish to look up Lydia in Acts (a cloth trader who hosted a church in her house), Priscilla (also one of the early church ministers) and many others. [/QUote]

Could I get a source for this?

Normally I let these things go, Jobee, but you are putting forward a long held and at the very least, debatable view of Christianity.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one. But given that women were witnesses to the death and the first witnesses to Jesus resurrection in a society that held women's testimony to be of no value, this was radical then and helps to refute this belief. You might wish to look up Lydia in Acts (a cloth trader who hosted a church in her house), Priscilla (also one of the early church ministers) and many others.

(2) If you look up Romans 5 the bible teaches that it was through the man that sin and death came about. Ms Stanton is just plain wrong - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin..."

(3) Not sure where to start with the last point, but the Bible does say this (it's in Galatians 3 if you want to look it up) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus".

You might think the Bible is a load of old rubbish, and it's your prerogative to do that, but untruthful reporting of what it says is not helpful. I hope I've not been unkind in pointing this out.

She is not alone-- you may point out anything you like-help yourself

-----------------------------

Faith" is a fine invention, when gentlemen can see

But microscopes are prudent, in an emergency.

-- Emily Dickinson, "Faith" (ca. 1860), quoted from James A Haught, ed, 2000 Years of Disbelief

:huh: Why would it be hypocritical to believe in ghosts or reincarnation but not gods?

So far as I'm aware there's nothing inherent in the concept of ghosts or reincarnation which requires a parallel belief in deities to be internally consistent. So it's not hypocritical so be a atheist who beliefs in ghosts so long as you don't criticise others for having baseless beliefs.

Any atheists who criticised theists for having fanciful beliefs whilst themselves having similarly baseless magical beliefs would be a hypocrites but I'm not aware of any such posters on SF. The atheists on here seem to be generally materialist/sceptical/naturalistic... when it comes to gods, ghosts, fairies, astrology... and so in no way hypocritical.

The 'new atheist' movement is in reality a more generalised sceptical/materialist/naturalist movement and opposed to 'woo-woo' of all kinds. The atheist stuff just gets much more press than the rest as religions are by some distance the most powerful and established purveyors of woo that have grown used to being protected from criticism in ways most other woo merchants can only dream of.

But your earlier comments don't support this.

Atheists simply don't believe in god/s there's nothing to atheism beyond that including no position upon what happens atfer death, beyond of course ruling out anything involving gods.
... there's nothing to atheism beyond that including no position what happens after death...

Could you explain what you meant by :no position.

Originally posted by Plekhanov

I think that when you die that's it you cease to be though the matter you were made of goes on as does whatever effect you had upon the world. But there's no reason I couldn't believe in reincarnation, ghosts... and still correctly call myself an atheist.

My Bold

I may have misread it, but didn't you just claim that atheism simply don't believe in gods there's nothing to atheism beyond that including no position on what happens after death...

As I say I could be misreading it so could you please explain just to clear things up.:)

My Bold

I may have misread it, but didn't you just claim that atheism simply don't believe in gods there's nothing to atheism beyond that including no position on what happens after death...

As I say I could be misreading it so could you please explain just to clear things up.:)

By "no position" I mean that "Atheism" is simply a term to describe a lack of belief in deities which makes no reference to life after death. As such it has 'no position' upon it.

Atheism has no position upon life after death just as it has no position upon the morality of eating meat, whether Ronaldo or Messi is the best footballer in the world, capitalism or indeed anything other than the non-existence of gods.

Individual atheists may well have opinions upon all the above but they have nothing to do with atheism.

Asking what "What do Atheists think happens when you die?" is like asking "What do Radiohead fans think happens when you die?" the question makes no sense as being a fan of Radiohead has nothing to do with any kind of belief in what happens when you die.

Off topic, but...

I love these clips. On the back of this thread I've viewed several of them, and then gone onto the You Tube links to see even more of the same. The fact that they all have to follow the structure of the original video (eg the reasons for everyone leaving the room, etc) adds to the comedy. A bit like a limerick, where the structure adds to the joke. It becomes an art form in its own right.

Off topic, but...

I love these clips. On the back of this thread I've viewed several of them, and then gone onto the You Tube links to see even more of the same. The fact that they all have to follow the structure of the original video (eg the reasons for everyone leaving the room, etc) adds to the comedy. A bit like a limerick, where the structure adds to the joke. It becomes an art form in its own right.

is my overall favourite, the words fit what's on the screen superbly.

flamingjimmy is a City fan so I thought the Hitler hears about Michael Owen's late winner - Man United 4-3 Man City one was apt.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one. But given that women were witnesses to the death and the first witnesses to Jesus resurrection in a society that held women's testimony to be of no value, this was radical then and helps to refute this belief. You might wish to look up Lydia in Acts (a cloth trader who hosted a church in her house), Priscilla (also one of the early church ministers) and many others.

(2) If you look up Romans 5 the bible teaches that it was through the man that sin and death came about. Ms Stanton is just plain wrong - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin..."

(3) Not sure where to start with the last point, but the Bible does say this (it's in Galatians 3 if you want to look it up) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus".

You might think the Bible is a load of old rubbish, and it's your prerogative to do that, but untruthful reporting of what it says is not helpful. I hope I've not been unkind in pointing this out.

(1) Women's emancipation. Ms Cady Stanton's view is a frequently held one- QUOTE ==is that a fact-and where is it frequently held

flamingjimmy is a City fan

I am no such thing!:o

I'm not really loyal enough to anyone to call myself a fan, but it's possible sometimes hear Bramall lane from the house I grew up in so I have to say Sheff U, and in the Premiership I have Arsenal as my second team, like many others.

I'd go as far as to say I prefer City to Man U, but then again so does everyone except for Man U fans.

By "no position" I mean that "Atheism" is simply a term to describe a lack of belief in deities which makes no reference to life after death. As such it has 'no position' upon it.

Atheism has no position upon life after death just as it has no position upon the morality of eating meat, whether Ronaldo or Messi is the best footballer in the world, capitalism or indeed anything other than the non-existence of gods.

Individual atheists may well have opinions upon all the above but they have nothing to do with atheism.

Asking what "What do Atheists think happens when you die?" is like asking "What do Radiohead fans think happens when you die?" the question makes no sense as being a fan of Radiohead has nothing to do with any kind of belief in what happens when you die.

Yeah, that makes more sense to me, Thanks for that plekhanov.

Maybe the OP would humour me by re-naming the thread; "What do the self proclaimed atheists who are not actually atheists, if they believe in an afterlife, yet mock those that believe in god/s, think happens when you die?.:hihi:

Archived