What do Atheists think happens when you die ?

If you watch this time-lapse video of echinoderms and nemertine worms eating a seal carcass you'll realise the answer is most likely yes:

That is brilliant.

I want some of those for my compost bin:hihi:

Theists belief its either or heaven or hell.

What do atheists think happens when you've gone ?

I think a more interesting question would be: "what to deists think happens after you die?"

Personally, as an atheist, I'm seriously considering being bitten by one of the walking dead in the inevitable forthcoming zombie apocalypse so that I can walk the earth as a flesheating corpse forever. Or at least until I rot.

Failing that; organ donation. Perhaps I can possess the recipient.

As others have said, physically my organs will go to other people and the rest my family and friends can do with what they will. I like Eddie Izzard's idea of being 'twanged into a tree' to entertain the kids. ;)

In any other sense of death other than the physical, I'll just return to the state of non-existance I had before I was conceived. It's not a concept that bothers me at all.

Let's not forget that one of the most famous atheists Carl Sagan wrote Contact in which the possibility of some sort of life after death is hinted at.

In my most intoxicated moments these are the same sort of wishy-washy thoughts I like to entertain, but then in my most rational moments it's back to the same nothing there was for me 100 years ago. I remain an atheist as I contemplate both possibilities since atheism has nothing to say about it.

we've had so many threads on religion i just wondered what atheists thought.

but reading the few posts above not much

The end of the phenomenon we call consciousness, the rest of the world goes on without you, your body rots and gets eaten by worms.

You rot down and the material remains are fed back into the system.

Your stab at immortality is the continuation of your genes via your children and grandchildren and/or the memory and use by future generations of the work and achievements you leave behind you.

Archived