Cairo Jax Nightclub - Memories Required !!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read this thread! Wish I'd read it when it first started!

Cairo's was THE place to go in the late 80s.

I preferred the Jax side, and can remember Ashley the DJ and Louise very well! And also the 'woo yeah' posse! lol

Jax was excellent when Acid house became big; and after that I remember people going mad for 'Voodoo Ray' and anything by Soul II Soul.

I can remember being in the Cairo's side one night, and I think they were holding some kind of Mr CairoJax competition - the bloke who won (Dave I think he was called) asked his girlfriend to marry him that night, and as far as I know, they are still together. (they were a few years ago as I used to see them round and about).

And another time when Anthea Turner was there - throwing Crunchies into the crowd - gawd knows why!

What about Louis? The Head doorman? He barred me so many times! (because he knew I wasn't 18). I used to go in Silks, and then join the queue desperately hoping that he wouldn't spot me in the queue. He used to let me get all the way to the front, and then say to me "You're not coming in".....I was mortified!

Saw him a few years ago when Yates first opened - he was on the door there - we had a good laugh and a joke about it.

Fitz too - top bloke - one of the nicest 'bouncers' I knew.

I've still got a Cairo's mug - without any chips either! I must have moved house 6 times since my Cairo's days, but that mug has been moved with great care! Gawd know's how I got it!

I would have been going in Cairo's between 1988 and 1990 - as far as nightlife goes, they were the best years of my life!

Great thread brought back a few memories.

First went to Cairo's in 1985 when it was then Romeo & Juliets. It was a student night, mid-week either Halloween or Bonfire night.

Seem to remember in the late 80s our Friday night pub-crawl was start in Alexander, Garden (later Market Tavern), Brewer on the Bridge, Hen & Chicks, Mucky Duck, Three Cranes then into Cairos. Obviously not great boozers now. Into the 90s our pub crawl went from the otherside of Cairo's - Grapes, Dog & Partridge, Three Tuns, Golden Ball, what use to be Wig & Pen, Three Cranes, Cairo's.

Always remember going in cairo's after England lost to Germany in the 90 world cup semi final. Watched the game in Cross Keys at Handsworth, then we got a couple of taxis up town to drown our sorrows in Cairo's. Midweek so it was practically empty in there but remember doing the England/neworder dance thing at some point that night in Cairo's.

Met my first serious girlfriend in Cairo's, so have happy memories on that front as well.

Whisper it but i always preferred Roxys.

• 2 months later...
I've just read this thread! Wish I'd read it when it first started!

Cairo's was THE place to go in the late 80s.

I preferred the Jax side, and can remember Ashley the DJ and Louise very well! And also the 'woo yeah' posse! lol

Jax was excellent when Acid house became big; and after that I remember people going mad for 'Voodoo Ray' and anything by Soul II Soul.

I can remember being in the Cairo's side one night, and I think they were holding some kind of Mr CairoJax competition - the bloke who won (Dave I think he was called) asked his girlfriend to marry him that night, and as far as I know, they are still together. (they were a few years ago as I used to see them round and about).

And another time when Anthea Turner was there - throwing Crunchies into the crowd - gawd knows why!

What about Louis? The Head doorman? He barred me so many times! (because he knew I wasn't 18). I used to go in Silks, and then join the queue desperately hoping that he wouldn't spot me in the queue. He used to let me get all the way to the front, and then say to me "You're not coming in".....I was mortified!

Saw him a few years ago when Yates first opened - he was on the door there - we had a good laugh and a joke about it.

Fitz too - top bloke - one of the nicest 'bouncers' I knew.

I've still got a Cairo's mug - without any chips either! I must have moved house 6 times since my Cairo's days, but that mug has been moved with great care! Gawd know's how I got it!

I would have been going in Cairo's between 1988 and 1990 - as far as nightlife goes, they were the best years of my life!

God, i wish i had one of those Cairo's mugs.

I regularly had a nice cuppa when i worked at Cairos in my Cairos mug, usually when the club was closed in an afternoon when we were messing on the decks.

• 7 months later...

I have some great and not so great memories of Cairo's in the late eighties. We used to alternate between Cairos and Roxys on each Saturday night. I remember when Sonia played at Cairo's. I was told by many that I was a lookalike at the time and my mate kept shouting Sonia come out of the loo, there was a gaggle of girls stood outside the cubicle all waiting for an autograph.:loopy:

I remember loosing my stilletos on Jax dancefloor and them turning up with the doormen at the end of the night, my feet were filthy by then:hihi: I remember the corridors were so dark inbetween, there was always some shifty looking bloke waiting to pounce on you.

Great memories.

Archived