Cairo Jax Nightclub - Memories Required !!

• 1 month later...
Oh My God

Its So Good To Hear So Many People Had Happy Memories Of Cairos.

I Was Resident Dj And Then Promotions Manager After Paul Baron Moved On, I Do Miss Sheffield So Much, I Have Always Said That Sheffield Is One Of The Friendliest City's I Have Ever Played, Oh And By The Way I Am Still Going Strong Dj Wise. How About You Paul? Steve?

Many Thanks To My Friend Who Told Me About This Forum.

Please Get In Touch If You Remember Me Xxxx

Kinky Boots??? Carrie?? LBD??? Ring any bells? Hope it does Ian!

• 2 weeks later...

ha ha some of my best memories of that place come from there, 89 -93, i remember going into silks first ( most thurs fris and if we were lucky to get in sats too) and swiggin down a few blast aways , we only went out with about 15 quid but still had enough money for chips in cairos an taxi home , ah the good old days , i still knock about with the same girlies i went to cairos with an often remonise about them days, i remember the dj in jaks called jed, jaks was my favourite side , like all the r n b stuff, an you could walk pas the snoggin room to get to jaks side.got loads of photos will dig em out asap. there was an old bloke who use to go religiously still see him in woodseats , bless, but i guess if we saw him we were there religiously too. there hasnt been another night club like it since.always worried about gettin stopped and if mo was on the door my friend was definatly not gettin in!! will add more soon

I can remember me and my mate going in on friday night we got a drink and wandered into the smaller room, we were greeted by the sight and sound of Sonia doing a PA spot on stage. we just looked at each other turned on our heels and went back in the other room. It was so funny we still talk about it to this day

• 5 months later...

I only went a couple of times - around about 1989-1990 ish... It was chavvy before the word chav existed, so in many ways was ahead of it's time:hihi:

Played really bad music, mostly chart stuff with a smattering of Abba and Stock Aitken and Waterman... It was a scruffy hole really, had a weird mirrored tunnel between the two rooms, the smaller room had a cafe bar just off the mirrored tunnel - meant to have a 50's theme if I recall? Red plastic and chrome featured heavilly if I remember right?

The main room had a dance floor you walked down a about 5 steps to get to, and all around were cubby holes with battered sofas for copping off on...

The bouncers were the old school kind - that is, ex cons looking for a fight and more likely to start on men who were less likely to punch em back! First time I went I was 15 and on a bus trip - remember a man being dragged out with blood all over his face, looked like he'd been glassed... The bouncers were really going at him, he didn't stand a chance - I remember thinking he looked like someones dad! His Mrs was crying and begging em to let him go - the police were all over them within minutes... Wasn't my first time in a night club, and I've seen plenty of fights in them before and since, but that was the worst and it was the bouncers doing the punching...

It didn't change inside at all when it opened as Corporation, but it seemed better, even though structurally it was really run down by then - maybe that was down to the music and the fact it was full of scrubbers! Don't remember the cafe bit when it was corp though??? Maybe that got ripped out?

I used to frequent the place quite a lot in the early eighties when it was Romeo and Juliets , usually on Thursday nights and it was always rammed ( how times change ).

Does anyone remember the live band that used to be on in one of the rooms at this time?

Always liked the club to be honest and have some good memories of it.

Archived