Do we have proper mosquitos in the UK ?

Something that looks like a mosquito has just landed on me, but it didn't make that noise they make when they fly.

Is it a pseudo-mozzie ?

It's dead now BTW.

Technically speaking we do have mosquitoes/gnats from the Family Culicidae. 32 different species have been recorded.

(They are distinct from midges which belong to the Ceratopogonidae.)

There are 25 species of the genus Anopheles which carry malaria and whilst at least one of them has been recorded in England it is thought that these have been isolated individuals that have arrived by plane.

I once got enormously noshed by a mosi in Australia a couple of years ago - man the humidity that night - never experienced anything like it - makes you horny as hell, though:D

Draggles brain kicks in 'do not tell forum members about the passion outside our campervan that night'

Sorry, anyway, Mrs Draggle saw a programme the other night ... it seems that if you have smelly feet, mosis won't bite you.:suspect:

Have never experienced a real mosi in this country though Nick - maybe my feet are cleaner here:)

Yes we do. If you get to swat one and there is a red blob on your wall etc. it is the blood of its last victim. They are the pregnant female mozzies who are out feeding. They are particularly worse if you live near trees and water.

Archived