Do we have proper mosquitos in the UK ?

talkin of mozzies and such, can anyone recommend some good unction for a poor sod (me) who is allergic to bites? just one little tiny bite in the garden and it blisters up, itches worse than anything you dare to imagine,swells and goes red 3 inches all round. its still there 2weeks later just slowly disappearing.

last year i wandered down a dodgy alleyway in Barcelona and was bitten 4/5 times by i darent think what, it was a nightmare.

HELP!!??

• 7 years later...
Something that looks like a mosquito has just landed on me, but it didn't make that noise they make when they fly.

Is it a pseudo-mozzie ?

It's dead now BTW.

There's quite a big proper looking mozzy in my front room now. It's bitten me on the arm twice.

It's big. Not on the scale of the ones in Greece and places like that but getting there. Biggest one I've ever seen in Sheffield.

I've squished two of the beasties in my house in the last couple of days. Grrrr..Definately mozzies. I am the mozzies equivalent of Bella Swan. They hunt me out & prefer my blood to all others. I have senstive skin so am limited to what lotions I can use (& my feet dont smell!) but the one product I have tried which really did work was Avon Skin So Soft, Soft & Fresh dry oil body spray.

Recently they have changed the formula and added 'Jojoba'. So I hope it still is as good as the original. Anyone tried the new Jojoba one yet?

have a walk around Treeton Dyke, they work in gangs.

I got took out yesterday by 12 of the sods (only 5 survived though) worst bite being a rather fetching one on the back of my neck, wish I had hair to cover it up :-(

I've squished two of the beasties in my house in the last couple of days. Grrrr..Definately mozzies. I am the mozzies equivalent of Bella Swan. They hunt me out & prefer my blood to all others. I have senstive skin so am limited to what lotions I can use (& my feet dont smell!) but the one product I have tried which really did work was Avon Skin So Soft, Soft & Fresh dry oil body spray.

Recently they have changed the formula and added 'Jojoba'. So I hope it still is as good as the original. Anyone tried the new Jojoba one yet?

Mosquitoes are attracted to the chemicals you emit, your body heat, humidity and the carbon dioxide you exhale, eating garlic will mask the chemical smells that the mosquito is looking for, the more you eat the less likely they are to find you. Alternatively, keep cool and stand next to someone that is large, hot and sweaty and the mosquitoes will dine on them instead of you.:D

Tried the garlic. The only thing it put off was the other half :D Tried taking vitamin B12 tablets....errr..can I just say all that extra yeast is not good for a girls ying yang if you know what I mean! The Avon product seems to do the trick. Apparantly, it is favoured by the SAS guys when on jungle patrol. It's a Ross Kemp favourite as well. Can't help but smile when I think of all those tough guys going about the bush smelling like grannies :hihi:

Yes we do. If you get to swat one and there is a red blob on your wall etc. it is the blood of its last victim. They are the pregnant female mozzies who are out feeding. They are particularly worse if you live near trees and water.

Tell me about it,in old house i used to have a pond.The filter,pumps etc where in a shed.Everytime i cleaned it,the next day where some huge bites.

Archived