Advice about a faulty tv

Hi, I bought a plasma tv back in march 05 (and paid a lot for it back then, lol) and took out a five year warranty (so runs out march 10)

The screen is flickering on and off and comet have taken the tv back several times (5 or 6 times) over the last year with the same problem and it always comes back the same after they've had it a couple of weeks.

It's still doing it now and it's getting near to the end of my warranty so i'm scared they'll just keep doing the same and then when they warranty runs out i'll be left with it.

Do i have the right to demand a new tv?

Thanks

Have you got any sort of proof that it's been back several times? If you have, write them a letter telling them that they've had enough chances to put it right and have failed and that you would therefore like a replacement - but don't send the originals of any documentation, just copies.

There's a handy letter template here, it's just a case of filling in the blanks and choosing the correct options. It seems fairly clear that the TV is not of satisfactory quality.

• 1 year later...

I bought a TV four months ago and it's developed a slight fault in the last week or so. When I turn the TV on the screen comes on but then turns off and immediately back on. I know it's only a minor thing but it's annoying and the TV cost quite a lot so I'd like a replacement or to get it repaired.

I've checked a few consumer guides online and they state that if a fault develops within 6 months of purchase then the store I bought it from must repair the TV or refund me the money. Does anybody know if there are any catches to this such as 'faulty' having to mean that the TV doesn't actually work (i.e. I can't watch anything on it)?

I would like to know exactly what my rights are before I give the shop a ring so has anybody had any experience with this kind of thing? They may be helpful when I phone them up but I'd rather be fully prepared so I know where to stand my ground,

I bought a TV four months ago and it's developed a slight fault in the last week or so. When I turn the TV on the screen comes on but then turns off and immediately back on. I know it's only a minor thing but it's annoying and the TV cost quite a lot so I'd like a replacement or to get it repaired.

I've checked a few consumer guides online and they state that if a fault develops within 6 months of purchase then the store I bought it from must repair the TV or refund me the money. Does anybody know if there are any catches to this such as 'faulty' having to mean that the TV doesn't actually work (i.e. I can't watch anything on it)?

I would like to know exactly what my rights are before I give the shop a ring so has anybody had any experience with this kind of thing? They may be helpful when I phone them up but I'd rather be fully prepared so I know where to stand my ground,

I'd give them a ring and arrange for them to have a look at it. It might only be a minor thing, but if its annoying and its not supposed to do it, they should still sort it out.

Archived