Change @ SOLA BAR - needs your imput!

Vinny8989

Good luck with it. I like the building and its general design and it should be a place that people take the trouble to seek out. But because it's slightly off the beaten track, you need word of mouth recommendations or you're sunk. It sounded great in the press when it opened, but I only went in once or twice and it was a disappointment. It was lifeless and virtually empty.

Sounds like you're on the right track by actually bothering to ask the customers, but here's a few ideas:

-Turn the lights down (if we want brightness we'll go somewhere with windows), candles are good too.

-A quality jukebox for the daytimes and early evenings might be worth a try (all the new local bands that have records out should be on it for example)

-Simple food that people will come back for repeatedly (eg nice bread, nice cheeses - like stuff you get on the Fargate continental market)

-The draft beers shouldn't be too expensive.

-One well-kept quality local cask ale and fancy Euro bottled stuff would appeal to many people (not just beardy-types)

-Affordable, gluggable wines

-local art exhibitions

-more and better planned seating

Originally posted by muddycoffee

What did it used to be, was it formerly the Golden Ball?

No, it's on a steep road, behind the catherdral, heading down towards the court house, it's realy easy to miss, just a little sign and a door on the left.

SOLA is lovely.. its a fantastic space.. really light and airy.. I think the resteraunt seemed to take over tho and the last few times I went it was deadly quiet which is always a bit weird.

Do a cheap cocktail offer part of the night or on certain nights.. thats one of my main criteria when choosing a bar.. but don't be stingey with the cocktails just cos they're on offer (one of the reasons I was put of going to SOLA before!)

Sophisticated low lighting is a must.. live music is always good, reasonable food menu with tapas or nibbles... smiley staff... no dress code..

I'll definitely pop down when you reopen.. and drag some friends along.. its not that far out of the way really when you consider that its near to the Wig and Pen which I love and its always a joy to be able to stay away from West Street which I hate on a fri/sat and tend to avoid like the plague..

Best of luck!

I used to love Sola for the following reasons:

1, The Asian guy chef who made the best creme brulee I've ever tasted. (Where the hell does he work now?) And travelling in my job, I've eaten in a lot of different restaurants.

2. The fact that it served quality food that was a bit different - don't want standard fare. It used to be THE place to eat when the bloke from Lion's lair had it. Defo wig and pen has now taken over and 543 in my book and lion's lair still good. Although your menu looks fine , it would not entice me to eat there. Want something a bit eclectic and am willing to pay for it.

3. Fantastic how it was a restaurant bar then about 10 the bar took over. Yes the beautiful crowd do move on to other places but structually it is a fantastic bar for all. Don't rely on the student crowd - they have plenty of places to go.

4. Comedy nights used to be great and i made an effort to go out midweek for them.

5. They served the best caprinihas in town with brown sugar.

Hope you get it going again. Good luck!!

Originally posted by EdnaKrabappe

Although your menu looks fine , it would not entice me to eat there. Want something a bit eclectic and am willing to pay for it.

I agree with that. Although the menu looks fine, it seems a bit standard for a restaurant/bar of Sola's (potential) calibre.

tbh that menu isn't really impressive. Not different enough to anything you'd get in a comprable place and probably more expencive.

How much is say a pint of lager in there now anyway. (I always avoided Sola as it used to be full of wanabees and then it was food centric 9and I could never find it:D )

Although listening to ideas for a new venture is great, and customer-friendly. Make sure you have your own clear vision for the place.... and I'm talking from experience here...

(And learn to spell License/Licensee!)

Archived