Tiesto coming to Sheffield! - 5/2/10

sergio

He must be doing something right to keep on selling out all of these huge arenas???

The Spice Girls, Take That and Robbie Williams fill bigger arenas than Tiesto on a much more regular basis. Doing something right perhaps, but it doesn't mean they're any good either.

Sounds like some people are jealous of his success, but you will always get some people who will slate the successfull won't you - no matter what they are/do.

Well, it depends how you define success... It would be nice to have the sort of money Tiesto has undoubtedly amassed, but I have no cause to be envious of the music he has created. Jealousy does not figure at all, I just recognise the fact that simplistic and unimaginative music often sells well. The general public will always be hungry for a slice of mediocrity, and outside of the DJ Mag/Mixmag arena Tiesto is held in similar regard to Europop and novelty acts like Aqua: overblown, silly, and preposterous.

Look at the sleeves for 'Kaleidoscope', 'In My Memory', 'Just Be' and 'Elements of Life': Tiesto even resembles an X Factor contestant, and the marketing behind his music panders to celebrity status in a very similar way.

otherwise it just becomes too commercial full of crap you can hear at Embrace.

I don't think a buzzing arena full of up for it clubbers can be compared to the crap you hear at Embrace. If you went to see a band at the arena, you would expect to hear their famous songs, otherwise you would walk away disappointed- I don't see the difference with DJs. If you went to see Prodigy at the arena you would be really annoyed if they didn't give the crowd the tracks they wanted to hear. So what if Tiesto plays older tracks, they are still loved and get the crowd going.

I don't think a buzzing arena full of up for it clubbers can be compared to the crap you hear at Embrace. If you went to see a band at the arena, you would expect to hear their famous songs, otherwise you would walk away disappointed- I don't see the difference with DJs. If you went to see Prodigy at the arena you would be really annoyed if they didn't give the crowd the tracks they wanted to hear. So what if Tiesto plays older tracks, they are still loved and get the crowd going.

It's always been different at proper trance nights. You don't pay to hear music you can find in any other club.

The time when Safri Duo - Played Alive was dropped at Gatecrasher the first time was awesome. Now its become a horrifically overplayed ball of cheese that you'll find in the Leadmill.

Trance has always been about playing stuff that you've never heard of and then spend days afterwards trying to track it down...

He must be doing something right to keep on selling out all of these huge arenas???

Sounds like some people are jealous of his success, but you will always get some people who will slate the successfull won't you - no matter what they are/do.

Yeah he is doing something right; but he's doing it for the mass market of individuals that think going to see "the top rated DJ in the World" is going to be the best dance music event!

Tiesto's job is working in the EDM sorting office... he sorts those individuals that are serious and have a taste for REAL talent from those that haven't a f*cking clue.

A more sucessful person in EDM to me would be a true professional like Craig Richards. I wonder how many of the ticket holders of this event would know who he is. And the thing is you wouldn't be jealous of Richards, as all you can have for the man is respect. And thats not snobbery, its just not being lazy. Tiesto is the fair weather dance fans favourite. Accessible. Easy. Rubbish.

Put it this way; when you're Dad and you're 7 year old nephew know who Tiesto is and can name a couple of his tracks, something inside me screams that I don't wanna know who he is.

If you get that same feeling, don't worry - thats just Tiesto tossing you into the other pile.... while he cherry picks an N Dubz/Hollyoaks/Galaxy105/Heat Magazine lover and puts them into his pile.

Personally, if I booked to see a band at the arena I'd have to have a word with myself. Surely if you're seeing them at this stage they're past the exciting semi-undiscovered stage or they are on their way to selling out. Or is that just me? I missed my chance to see Kings of Leon at Doncaster Dome through illness, then when I had the chance to see them at the Arena I wasnt interested. Why would I be? The excitement is the small intimate venues when you can see the whites of their eyes. Not just a speck on the stage.

Sure I'd love to see The Arctic Monkeys at the Arena, but I'd be kicking myself for not seeing them at a smaller venue while I had the chance.

Another e.g. was when Booka Shade played at UG in front of about 200 people. Awsome. When I saw them at TDK in London in front of 1500 and they were much bigger it just wasnt the same.

However, I agree with your first sentence.

Tesco is the supermarket version of Tiesto! Sterile and swamped with mouth breathers filling their faces with processed sh*t.

And another thing! (sorry I'm a miserable old git)...

...why not invest your ticket money on going to a smaller or non-corporate night that are breaking up and coming artists/DJ's??? Have some f*cking soul!!!

This is exactly what's wrong with the Sheffield club scene. Tiesto will no doubt sell out the arena. Why? Because it's such an easy and safe option. Why not put some f*cking effort in and discover something new; a new band/DJ/rapper whatever. There's loads out there, unfortunately you just have to put the effort in. If everyone did put the effort in, Sheffields club scene would be thriving not just surviving.

Wear you're heart on your sleeve and take a risk! If everyone did, the chances are it'd pay off and you'd be able to say "I was there when XYZ played in front of 200 people" etc.

Or if you want to see someone who has been at the top of the dance music game for donkeys without selling out, get down to SAWA to see Ashley Beadle play in front of about 100 people on Saturday. I'm amazed that somebody would post "Tiesto returns to Sheffield" but not "Ashley Beadle returns to Sheffield".

Sad.

And no I don't promote Act Like Ya Know.

Archived