What is the Old Vicarage like?

Tubthump

Apparently The Old Vicerage restaurant is the only one in Yorkshire to possess a coverted Michelin Star. Has any one experienced the place? If so what was it like? How does it compare to some of Sheffield's other respected eateries eg. Thyme, Nonnas, Blue Room Brasserie? Interested to hear your thoughts as I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend there for her birthday.

I haven't sampled the Old Vicarage but know plenty of people who have been and have heard only good reports.

Lunchtime is cheaper than evenings and as far as I know the food is to the same standard.

Only one minus....... if you have a hearty appetite this might not be the place for you.

Been there once, had a nice meal.. what more can I say? Just been looking at some old threads and I can it see it's not really liked on this forum. But, your beautifully dry and willfully cutting sarcasms aside, I'm more interested to hear what people have to say about The Old Vicerage than to revive old discussions.

I have eaten at Nonna's a few times and always had lovely food. The atmosphere, particularly at lunchtime is very authentic Italian. I don't like it in the evening though when it's full of people gawping at what you are wearing.

The new bakery that they have just opened is great too, some of the tastiest bread I have eaten.

I think you are being unfair Nick and shouldn't put things about dolmio sauces unless you have seen the empty jar. Some very good restaurants use microwaves.

Anyway this was about The Old Vicarage. It's not really like the others you mentioned more 'country house' style. The food is excellent and Tessa Bramley still keeps a firm grip on what is going on in spite of supposedly taking a back seat. It is quite expensive but a lot of people think it's worth it. Look at the website http://www.theoldvicarage.co.uk to get an idea of the style.

Have you been to Greenhead House at Chapeltown? Unbeatable IMO. Fantastic blend of inspired cooking, the best service I have ever had anywhere and value for money. You need to book months in advance for a Friday or Saturday evening but it's worth the wait.

Archived