What is the Old Vicarage like?

Tubthump

Yes, It is quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If you are a true foodie you will love it!

Tessa pretty much runs front of house and is very welcoming to all guests.

The wine list is exellent & if you are not sure what to drink, they will always help you pick one to accompany your meal.

We try and go 2-3 times each year, and experience the seasonal changes in menu.

Originally posted by LoopyLou

how long has this place been open?

I have lived near ridgeway for over 10 years and not heard of it before!

Yeah, Ive lived in the area all my life now, but didnt know about it untill I started getting interested in food! - I guess its not the type of place that needs to advertise, kind of exclusive but not in a snobbish kind of way.

Old Vicarage is very good and on a different league to anything on offer at Nonnas.

If going to a Michelin starred restaurant is important to you, then I would head for Fischers at Baslow which imho is very,very special and better then Teresa Bramley's place. they are both excellent though.

Originally posted by Greenback It still has a Michelin star as far as I know, I'm sure it would have been news if it was taken away.
You're quite right Greenback, Pool Court at 42 in Leeds has one. I think the Old Vicerage is the only one in South Yorkshire, or am I wildly wrong?

Originally posted by Tubthump

You're quite right Greenback, Pool Court at 42 in Leeds has one. I think the Old Vicerage is the only one in South Yorkshire, or am I wildly wrong?

Yeah, you're right as far as I know. In the rest of the county there's also the Star Inn at Harome, North Yorkshire, the Devonshire arms in Skipton and Venn in Hull (I think) who have a star each.

I had a bad experience there.

Tessa seemed to take a dislike to our group. , When we were giving her our orders, as I started to speak she looked at me with disgust and said "I'm taking the ladies first".

I am not disputing this is the correct etiquette (although it wasn't something I was aware of before), but when you are paying £70 per head, you don't expect a school teacher style ticking off. It changed the mood instantly.

We were served our first course at 10.30pm (after being left in the sitting room from 8.30 which was the time of the reservation).

The food was excellent, but by that time my blood sugar level was so low I'd have enjoyed eating my own shoe.

I prefered Fischers much more. I also love The Terrace in Hathersage (although I must admit bias as I do work with them).

Archived