What is the Old Vicarage like?

Tubthump

Originally posted by LoopyLou

how long has this place been open?

I have lived near ridgeway for over 10 years and not heard of it before!

I would say for more than 10 years.

It is quite secluded, behind lots of trees and down a winding drive. On LHS as you go down towards Ford.

It is very discreetly situated and you could easily drive past it without knowing.

I've never been to the Old Vicarage, but I'd love to go.

Friends of mine who have been say 'the food is excellent, but it is very expensive and really the sort of place you would go to only for a special occassion'

I've heard that Sola (North Church Street) is also excellent for stylish drinking and dining, as is the Wig & Pen (Campo Lane).

I was once taken there for lunch by someone celebrating their birthday and they paid....

I found it a little bit disappointing, there was only one other table occupied so the atmosphere was quite cold and I cannot remember much about what I ate, except that I thought it was more average than superb.

I would like to give it another try as I think we must have caught it on an off day.

Originally posted by Tubthump

Apparently The Old Vicerage restaurant is the only one in Yorkshire to possess a coverted Michelin Star. Has any one experienced the place? If so what was it like? How does it compare to some of Sheffield's other respected eateries eg. Thyme, Nonnas, Blue Room Brasserie? Interested to hear your thoughts as I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend there for her birthday.

I don't know the old vicarage. I suspect it conatins an old vicar and we all know whatb they are capable of.

My advice is give up your girlfriend and become a monk. Forget about girls and embrace the celebate life instead.

ps i am a very sinister person:suspect:

Originally posted by pete_jim

Re places up North has Winteringham Fields (south of the Humber) still got theirs, it's supposed to be an awesome place to have a meal.

It certainly is. Mr Schwab is an absolutely fabulous cook, as his five AA rosettes and two Michelin stars testify! A strange collection of buildings to be honest, but the menu and wine list deserve those Michelin Stars. :thumbsup: It would be a shame if they do sell up as they keep threatening to. Website

The Old Vicarage? Well I've only been a couple of times and found it to be very good, but not really up there with the best. It feels a bit dated, both the food and the decor! The TV chef thing just doesn't impress, and I would rather have the chef n the kitchen than front of house. Max Fischer is forgiven on this count because...

Fischer's still rates it for me though! Never disappointed, always deeply impressed. The huge bill just never feels painful at the end of the meal.

Fischers website

The Old Vicarage is Michelin star, the food is equisite and behind the scenes is prepared well however for it works out at about £100 for the meal and then wines/drinks on top of that, for a couple to have a decent meal, you would be looking at about £140.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

My advice is give up your girlfriend and become a monk. Forget about girls and embrace the celebate life instead.

Wow, thanks for the advice. You have no idea how much your comments have changed my life forever. Shortly after reading them, I went home, dumped my girlfriend, shaved off all my hair, donned some monastic robes and prepared myself for a new life. I decided to go one step further than your suggestions of celibacy, making the ulimate sacrifice by removing my "crown jewels" altogether. I won't bore you with the gory details, but I thought you'd be pleased to know that not only has the process given me new clarity in my meditations, it also won me automatic inclusion into the National Eunuch Choir with whom I am currently touring the US.

Who'd have thought two sentences posted on a website forum could spread such positivity. Slimsid2000, I really can't thank you enough

Archived