What is the Old Vicarage like?

Tubthump

Went to a wedding reception there the food cannot be faulted but the atmosphere is a bit stiffled. TThe staff not encouraged to engage in chat with the customers, I don't think they are even allowed to smile

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Tony

It certainly is. Mr Schwab is an absolutely fabulous cook, as his five AA rosettes and two Michelin stars testify! A strange collection of buildings to be honest, but the menu and wine list deserve those Michelin Stars. :thumbsup: It would be a shame if they do sell up as they keep threatening to. Website

You are right. Winterringham Fields is absolutely wonderful and only an hour from Sheffield.

Sadly, however, Mr Schwab and his wife retired this summer and although the head chef is reputedly still the same we will have to wait and see how things pan out.

Michelin usually withdraw their rating when a new person takes over, so next year Winterringham will lose its stars.

Watch this space, as they say.

I like The Old Vicarage, but the atmosphere is often warmer at Fischers.

Do let us know what you choose and how it turns out!

Don't do the monk thing!

Wow, that will be special!

I have heard that you can't book more than a month in advance and that therefore you have to be on the 'phone as soon as they open exactly one month before you want to go. Is that right?

Do let us know what you order and what it is like.

Truly envious!

I have been to the Vicarage but a few years ago on Valentine's Day. It was fabulous.

My only draw back is the fact that you can't dance on the tables after a few good brandys!!! Great, great food - no atmosphere. Infact dont speak whilst eating. Dont let "one off" either. Dont think about third world poverty or anything really associated with "The Poor." Feel humbled, I did. And very very full.........

It is special.

Originally posted by pete_jim

I have eaten at Nonna's a few times and always had lovely food. The atmosphere, particularly at lunchtime is very authentic Italian. I don't like it in the evening though when it's full of people gawping at what you are wearing.

The new bakery that they have just opened is great too, some of the tastiest bread I have eaten.

I think you are being unfair Nick and shouldn't put things about dolmio sauces unless you have seen the empty jar. Some very good restaurants use microwaves.

Anyway this was about The Old Vicarage. It's not really like the others you mentioned more 'country house' style. The food is excellent and Tessa Bramley still keeps a firm grip on what is going on in spite of supposedly taking a back seat. It is quite expensive but a lot of people think it's worth it. Look at the website http://www.theoldvicarage.co.uk to get an idea of the style.

Have you been to Greenhead House at Chapeltown? Unbeatable IMO. Fantastic blend of inspired cooking, the best service I have ever had anywhere and value for money. You need to book months in advance for a Friday or Saturday evening but it's worth the wait.

Where is the Greenhead House at Chapeltown ?Id like to try it.

Archived