Sheffield taxi fares over Christmas

Fair and a half is reasonable over Christmas. I would be charging more if I had to work over Christmas.

They don't have to work. It's up to them if they choose to. Compared to the +£2 they've done over recent years. And only bumped it up this year as they have no Mercury competition, it's stupid. Since some people had to go to work today.

They have competition from Excel and TBH it's hardly fair to say they don't have to work on Christmas Day. People rely on them to get to parties, pubs etc. What do you suggest as an alternative when there is no public transport. Not everybody who wants to go out at Christmas is capable of walking distances?

They have competition from Excel and TBH it's hardly fair to say they don't have to work on Christmas Day. People rely on them to get to parties, pubs etc. What do you suggest as an alternative when there is no public transport. Not everybody who wants to go out at Christmas is capable of walking distances?

They are self-employed drivers under the banner of City. Some have chosen not to work to be with their families over Christmas. (I know a couple of Taxi Drivers for City who were doing that).

There is no alternative, unless you drive yourself. I've been home for the last 2 days. I would have loved to have taken my mom out for Christmas. But we couldn't drop the money for lunch out and fare + half.

I just think it's wrong they've done fare + half. When in the past it has just been an extra £2 which was pretty reasonable.

OK, Brilliant thanks. I assume the Hackneys will be back to normal then as well.

To the best of my knowledge hackney cabs are not allowed to charge any other fare but that laid down by SCC witch means they can only charge normal fare + £2

See SCC fares below

TABLE OF FARES

The fares detailed below are the MAXIMUM fares, which may be charged.

FIRST 160 YARDS (146.3 metres)

DAY (6.00 AM UNTIL 8.00 PM) £2.60

NIGHT (8.00 PM UNTIL 6.00 AM) £3.10

Then 30p for every 346 yards (316 m) travelled up to 17600 yards (16093 m) - approx. 10 miles: -

After (10 miles) 17600 yards (16093m) 30p for every 285 yards (260m) travelled: -

AVERAGE COST (not including any waiting time)

DAY NIGHT

1 Miles (1.6km) £4.00 £4.50 10 Miles (16.1km) £17.80 £18.30

5 Miles (8.0km) £10.10 £10.80

10 Miles (16.1Km) £17.80 £18.30

15 Miles (24.1km) £27.10 £27.60

Waiting time

For every 1.22 minutes the cab is kept waiting 30p

Waiting time is calculated once the vehicle is stood or travelling at less than 8 miles per hour.

Extras

Each hiring begun between 6.00 pm on 24th December £2

and 6.00 am on 27th December and between

To the best of my knowledge hackney cabs are not allowed to charge any other fare but that laid down by SCC witch means they can only charge normal fare + £2

See SCC fares below

TABLE OF FARES

The fares detailed below are the MAXIMUM fares, which may be charged.

FIRST 160 YARDS (146.3 metres)

DAY (6.00 AM UNTIL 8.00 PM) £2.60

NIGHT (8.00 PM UNTIL 6.00 AM) £3.10

Then 30p for every 346 yards (316 m) travelled up to 17600 yards (16093 m) - approx. 10 miles: -

After (10 miles) 17600 yards (16093m) 30p for every 285 yards (260m) travelled: -

AVERAGE COST (not including any waiting time)

DAY NIGHT

1 Miles (1.6km) £4.00 £4.50 10 Miles (16.1km) £17.80 £18.30

5 Miles (8.0km) £10.10 £10.80

10 Miles (16.1Km) £17.80 £18.30

15 Miles (24.1km) £27.10 £27.60

Waiting time

For every 1.22 minutes the cab is kept waiting 30p

Waiting time is calculated once the vehicle is stood or travelling at less than 8 miles per hour.

Extras

Each hiring begun between 6.00 pm on 24th December £2

and 6.00 am on 27th December and between

Thanks Kidley.

It.was always fare.n half on the.taxis.for years until about 7 yrs ago. Fare plus £2 was brought in to generate more custom to compete with public transport. But since then bus fares have gone up pretty regularly. And to my knowledge city have put there fares up only once in 7yrs. And excel has only just had its first ever price increase since it started 8yrs ago.

At the end of the day +half on xmas is ok .

It.was always fare.n half on the.taxis.for years until about 7 yrs ago. Fare plus £2 was brought in to generate more custom to compete with public transport. But since then bus fares have gone up pretty regularly. And to my knowledge city have put there fares up only once in 7yrs. And excel has only just had its first ever price increase since it started 8yrs ago.

Private hire taxis can charge what they want.

Excel is part owned by City...