New African Restaurant on London Road

Sandra Spice

• 2 weeks later...

I live up there and was quite excited about a new type of cuisine on London Road. No idea what the food's like but, yes, it's open - and generally empty. It now has a menu on the window but for a long time just had a poster advertising the fact that it sold a certain brand of smoothie. If you want to go I'd suggest going soon as I doubt it'll be open for long. The food might be great but it's overlit and the 'marketing' is atrocious ie it's hard to imagine what the food's like from descriptions such as goat... chicken... and a few African sounding things that you either reckognise or you don't. In my case, I don't. So disappointing but I guess some people are crap cooks and great at marketing/presentation and others might be great cooks with no idea how to sell themselves. If anyone associated with the African place is reading this, I suggest softer lighting, promotions, perhaps a review in the window and pictures of the dishes so that ignorant gluttons like me have more of an idea of what you sell.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you're talking about Jabulani. Hubby and I went the other night and were very impressed. Wanted to spread the word. I had a stewed fish over spicy rice with a side of plaintains. Hubby had fish and vegetables over a large yam dumpling. The food was very good, and with two glasses of juice, the bill was about 20 pounds. They don't have much business yet, and at most three people work there. Since I gather that everything is made fresh, be prepared to wait. But that's understandable. They're quite friendly, too.

No alcohol on offer, but you can bring your own.

I went on Saturday night after reading martin dawes report. After sitting there for an hour and three quarters and receiving none of our ordered food we left! I think they were having probems in the kitchen as I only saw one meal brought out in that time, and a number of other diners were getting cranky.

All a bit of a farce unfortunately. Staff were friendly though. May try it again once its got going!

I think you're talking about Jabulani. Hubby and I went the other night and were very impressed. Wanted to spread the word. I had a stewed fish over spicy rice with a side of plaintains. Hubby had fish and vegetables over a large yam dumpling. The food was very good, and with two glasses of juice, the bill was about 20 pounds. They don't have much business yet, and at most three people work there. Since I gather that everything is made fresh, be prepared to wait. But that's understandable. They're quite friendly, too.

No alcohol on offer, but you can bring your own.

Stewed fish??? ... yuk!

Archived