New African Restaurant on London Road

Sandra Spice

We have just got back from Jabulani and we both feel like we were conned. We paid £36 (no drinks!) for set menu A which consisted of mixed starters which were very nice , however the mains, two types of what can only be described as Uncle Ben's rice and some questionable quality chicken (was it even cooked...?) followed by two oranges and some deep fried dough.

We were massively entertained by the enlessly repeated one track by Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo for our two hour stint.

We were waiting so long at the end of our ordeal to pay that I had to go into the kitchen to attract the waitress' attention.

Scores out of five

Food 1

Atomosphere 1

Service 1.5

Price 0

An all round very disappointing evening.

• 1 month later...

we are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, African food is simply different, and I FIND THAT MANY PEOPLE LOVE IT. About pricing, most of our main course meals can be purhased for under £10. the set menu are slightly more expensive because they give you the opportunity to partake of a variety of exquisite african cuisine with the finest imported ingredients.

We have just got back from Jabulani and we both feel like we were conned. We paid £36 (no drinks!) for set menu A which consisted of mixed starters which were very nice , however the mains, two types of what can only be described as Uncle Ben's rice and some questionable quality chicken (was it even cooked...?) followed by two oranges and some deep fried dough.

We were massively entertained by the enlessly repeated one track by Paul Simon and Ladysmith Black Mambazo for our two hour stint.

We were waiting so long at the end of our ordeal to pay that I had to go into the kitchen to attract the waitress' attention.

Scores out of five

Food 1

Atomosphere 1

Service 1.5

Price 0

An all round very disappointing evening.

• 11 months later...
it seems to have now ceased trading, but maybe it's like a crocodile on an African river bank that only looks dead and might splutter into life again at some point.

I only went once, for a lunch, and found the jollof rice very authentic... How could this not remain in business, especially when UK Mama continues to trade? That said, it has been closed for several months before, then reopened, as if by magic! The trick to staying in business is def to have regular opening hours and to stay open even when the owners go on holidays etc...

• 1 year later...

Archived