Training aids to stop dog barking?

I refer to the other thread. Perhaps they should be merged as they are intertwined.

I cannot take stopping a dog barking seriously. My appologies to the owners of the barking dog.

My dog barks before anyone gets anywhere near the door, and during much of the day my door is rarely closed. So far - not one complaint about him barking, except on occassion by me.

Dragon

• 11 years later...
The dog probably does not bark any-more on account that this thread was started 12 years ago and the dog is probably as dead as it is. ;)

No we all still have barking dogs. It's more awkward in the Summer as neighbours sit out in their gardens during the nice weather, and our dogs come out and bark at them. I think a spray of water would stop them for awhile.

Treats, patience and praise have seen two of ours drop from hyper to amenable in a short space of time. They still bark but more often than not it's at an acceptable level. They aren't shouted at, hit, drenched nor zapped or sprayed for any behaviour.

They get praised for the smallest of things regardless of whether or not they are asked to do them, as a result they are more inclined to behave well. They have moments when it all goes ape but they seem aware that they've cocked up (evident as they look towards me after the fact).

As for neighbours, I'm lucky as when they do bark they view it as a warning that someone is about, how cool is that.

Dogs will be dogs yes but if you want to you can limit the distress it can cause to others who perhaps are not so tolerant.