Ninja pedestrians and cyclists - death awaits you

Tony

Strangely, having no lights is a tiny proportion of cyclist/vehicle accidents, around just 2.5%.

In almost every case of a cyclist/vehicle collision, it's the motorist's fault, usually one or other of three main faults.

That may be so but I've noticed bundles of ninjas lately. It's dangerous, pointless and gives the rest of us a bad name. A good set of lights is £18.

There seems to be a trend for ped's to wander across the road without looking at the moment. Maybe it's the cold and they are keeping their heads down but I'm losing count of the ones that I've nearly scooped up in the bumper.

Strangely, having no lights is a tiny proportion of cyclist/vehicle accidents, around just 2.5%.

In almost every case of a cyclist/vehicle collision, it's the motorist's fault, usually one or other of three main faults.

I was driving my large white sprinter van Tuesday night while correctly displaying dipped headlamps and traveling at less than 30mph as i was due to pull into a driveway, when this bloke dressed head to foot in black sauntered out from behind a parked van and straight across the road in front of me...he never looked and i only saw him because his body obscured the left hand tail light of the car in front of me....had i been traveling slightly faster or even looking elsewhere (like my mirrors) he would have been a squashed Ninja.

I mention the vehicle as it is relevant, its 8 feet high, 6 feet wide, 20ft long, white and covered in lights...its alot easier to see in the dark and rain than a 5-8' bloke dressed like Johnny Cash.

So its not always the motorists fault and no matter who's fault it is, its small consolation on your headstone the remark "It was the other guys fault"

there do seem to be a lot of people wandering in front of cars wearing very dark clothing at night, I've noticed it too.

They're not unnoticeable then?

A pedestrian walking into a car won't do any damage. Becaus the driver of a vehicle is capable of doing far more damage, the onus is on them to avoid collisions by driving at a sensible speed.

They're not unnoticeable then?

But they might be noticed too late.

Becaus the driver of a vehicle is capable of doing far more damage, the onus is on them to avoid collisions by driving at a sensible speed.

I'd suggest that in addition to that, there is an incentive for a pedestrian/ cyclist to behave in a manner that minimises the risk of a collision with a motorised vehicle. That may, or may not involve lights, bright clothing and a modicum of road sense. Ipod removal might also be a plan when crossing roads.

But they might be noticed too late.

I'd suggest that in addition to that, there is an incentive for a pedestrian/ cyclist to behave in a manner that minimises the risk of a collision with a motorised vehicle. That may, or may not involve lights, bright clothing and a modicum of road sense. Ipod removal might also be a plan when crossing roads.

None of the things you mention is a major factor in cyclist collisions.

Many more accidents, and deaths, would be avoided if drivers didn't behave stupidly:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

Risky cycling rarely to blame for bike accidents, study finds

Cyclists disobeying stop signal or wearing dark clothing at night rarely cited in collisions causing serious injury.

Archived