The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

Not been since they stopped doing the more 'original' upstairs menu.

Don't like eating downstairs in the bar - it is not condusive to anything other than standard bar grub, certainly not worth paying the extra £££ compared to other places.

Used to go regular upstairs - but then the menu got boring and very rarely changed, shame because it started out so promising...

All things I like, but not what the majority of people will like, or are they aiming to only have a handfull of customers at a time ?

There was some preety standard stuff on there too. I think the more unusual cuts are becomming a bit more fashionable so hopefully enough people will go...!

Fear not people. I went to the opening night of the wig and pen and was assured by chefs and waiters that the menu there will be more interesting. I hear ramsey told them to concentrate on one area at a time. Hence milestone just went for gastro pub and w and p will let them do the a la carte stuff. The sample menus I saw look better. Pigeon, sweetbreads, beef skirt and rabbit are on there. May be worth another chance.

I'm not against giving it another try, I'd go back to The Milestone if there was something good on the menu, but I'd make sure we could have a table in the front bit away from the bar.

How was the atmosphere in The Wig and Pen? I sometimes want to eat in quiet surroundings, like a restaurant, rather than a bar/pub.

I'm not against giving it another try, I'd go back to The Milestone if there was something good on the menu, but I'd make sure we could have a table in the front bit away from the bar.

How was the atmosphere in The Wig and Pen? I sometimes want to eat in quiet surroundings, like a restaurant, rather than a bar/pub.

We went upstairs in the Milestone and loud wasn't in it. There is a huge, vaulted ceiling with no acoustic boards, plus wooden floors. Nothing to muffle the echo. The sound of diners talking was magnified and this, mixed with the shouts from the kitchen made conversation across our table for 4 impossible.

The OH's meal and mine were very disappointing and we had a real tussle to get our fish served without a bacon wrap (we don't eat meat). We were told it was ready prepped and the only fish dish available. In the end we insisted on something from the bar menu (fish without a bacon wrap) and I'm afraid it was delivered with bad grace.

We certainly won't be going there again.

we had a real tussle to get our fish served without a bacon wrap (we don't eat meat). We were told it was ready prepped and the only fish dish available. In the end we insisted on something from the bar menu (fish without a bacon wrap) and I'm afraid it was delivered with bad grace.

It does surprise me that people think restaurants will just change dishes. A menu is a menu, it lists what they sell. If you are vegetarian maybe this should have been factored in to your restaurant choice.

The chef's spend half their day preparing food that they have created with flavours and textures etc, just to have people coming in saying 'leave this out' 'add this on' 'I don't like *?*'

Then order or go somewhere else. Bit like going in to a Chinese and saying 'But I wanted Borscht tonight?'

How was the atmosphere in The Wig and Pen?

When I went? Heaving, but that's because it was the opening night. In the past the W&P has always been pretty quiet. Hopefully that will change now for the Milestone guys, but not too much so we can all enjoy a meal in peace!!

I went 2 weeks before the launch party night and it was really quiet but obviously they were very new then. It was lovely actually, there was only about 3 other groups in there and they were all well away from myself and the OH, so it almost felt like we were the only people there. I really enjoyed it. Has been a while now since I've had dinner at the 'original' Milestone but we went for brunch last Saturday and food and service were both excellent.

It does surprise me that people think restaurants will just change dishes. A menu is a menu, it lists what they sell. If you are vegetarian maybe this should have been factored in to your restaurant choice.

The chef's spend half their day preparing food that they have created with flavours and textures etc, just to have people coming in saying 'leave this out' 'add this on' 'I don't like *?*'

Then order or go somewhere else. Bit like going in to a Chinese and saying 'But I wanted Borscht tonight?'

In most of the restaurants I've been in the chefs are only too pleased to be flexible in their approach as to what is and isn't available. If there's something in the kitchen, and usually the menu gives some indication as to what that is, then a good chef will accommodate his customers by producing something which will satisfy them.

In my experience, it's usually the waiting staff who are either afraid to ask the chef or can't be bothered. As was the case in The Milestone. Until I insisted that the waiting staff asked the chef whether there was an alternative to what was on the menu they steadfastly refused to countenance the possibility.