The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

Erm... I think you did. Re-read your original post.

I have re-read it and that is exactley what i meant to say. I have not had any unsatisfactory experiences only few satisfactory (meaning ordinary and less than excellent... but never unsatisfactory)

I live close by the Milestone and was really excited when it first opened. The first menu they had was really, really good and at the end of the meal when a coffee was ordered, it came with a rich chocolate fudge covered in powdered chocolate...very yum! ;-)

Since then however, despite all the success, awards and praise...i have to say I really don't rate it much anymore. I went over for a coffee and had to send it back as it was too cold, we stayed a while, i had another coffee and sent that one back also.

We then went in on a Sunday and ordered a full lunch, my guest ordered the same and both were cold...i don't mean were not hot...i mean parts of the meal were actually cold, when i sent it back it returned after an obvious blasting in the microwave.

Since then i haven't been back and that's over a year ago...i'd really like to return as it's so local, but i don't tolerate bad food...has it improved?

• 1 year later...

i visited it on friday night with a friend of mine, expecting it to be full at 8.30pm and it was only half full. I haven't been for a couple of years as it was bad and thought it may have changed.... but it was only worse. Very small menu and no specials, it didnt really grab me at all.I had the wild mushroom starter that was nice and my friend had the ham hock terrine that was ok. then for main i had the rump steak, it was cold, with mash that was cold and cold plate.Service was good but at the end of the day its the kitchen thats at fault.

i visited it on friday night with a friend of mine, expecting it to be full at 8.30pm and it was only half full. I haven't been for a couple of years as it was bad and thought it may have changed.... but it was only worse. Very small menu and no specials, it didnt really grab me at all.I had the wild mushroom starter that was nice and my friend had the ham hock terrine that was ok. then for main i had the rump steak, it was cold, with mash that was cold and cold plate.Service was good but at the end of the day its the kitchen thats at fault.

I take it you alerted the waiter to the unsatisfactory quality of your meal, how did they react, that is the true measure of good service?

I take it you alerted the waiter to the unsatisfactory quality of your meal, how did they react, that is the true measure of good service?

The young waitress was good. i didnt say anything until when she came to clear the table she asked if everything was ok and i said it was ok but was cold, she then said they would have done it again. like i said said service was good and she was very apologetic but it should have never left the kitchen in the first place and thats not down to her. If it was busy then i would see it from the kitchen side but it was not.

The young waitress was good. i didnt say anything until when she came to clear the table she asked if everything was ok and i said it was ok but was cold, she then said they would have done it again. like i said said service was good and she was very apologetic but it should have never left the kitchen in the first place and thats not down to her. If it was busy then i would see it from the kitchen side but it was not.

and here we have a classic case in point - the humble Brit (assuming that's what you are Sir?) - paying good money for inferior food in a restaurant but not daring to complain.

And then saying..."the service was good" :huh:

Next time you go to a restaurant, any restaurant, just think about this for a moment - I'm trying to help you here btw...

"Good service" is not just about someone having a nice personality or a big smile when they greet you. Although that would be a major leap forward for many places for a start. But it's about them having knowledge of what's on offer, being able to guide you, maybe even advise you in your choice, and CHECKING that everything is to your satisfaction DURING the meal.

It should NEVER be the case that you get to the end of the meal and that is the only point at which they say, "was everything alright?" Sadly, this is the case in many poor places. Often they don't ask during the meal because they don't want bad news it seems!

But really, I can't understand how you would just sit there and get on with it if the stuff was cold or not right in some way like you've described.

It's not inpolite to complain. It's your prerogative to be satisfied.

Sounds to me like you were suitably disarmed by the waitresses charms and swept that under the carpet.

Which means others after you will get the same poor fare as no-one has bothered to tell them it's not right.

(It's about 2 years since I went to the Millstone. We ate upstairs in the "restaurant" bit. It was very expensive and disntinctly average. We went back on another occasion and this time we decided to go for the cheaper menu downstairs. That was also still quite pricey and I just recall it was full of odd kind of dishes. The food was average once again. So, never been back since. Sounds like I'm missing nothing).

Edited by DerbyTup