The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

It should NEVER be the case that you get to the end of the meal and that is the only point at which they say, "was everything alright?" Sadly, this is the case in many poor places. Often they don't ask during the meal because they don't want bad news it seems!

I have to disagree here. The "is everything alright?" usually isn't asked in better restaurants. They don't feel the need to ask, but the waiters/waitresses are usually at hand for any complaints if the need arises.

I have to disagree here. The "is everything alright?" usually isn't asked in better restaurants. They don't feel the need to ask, but the waiters/waitresses are usually at hand for any complaints if the need arises.

It is the way it is asked, it doesn't necessarily need to be done in a broad Sheffield way of 'How's tha scran love', a simple, 'are you both enjoying your meal' is even the norm in most Michelin restaurants.

The ongoing issue is the fact that waiting on tables pays poorly. In the USA and France for example being a waiter is a profession. Does anyone here know a waiter that is 30+ that plans on being a waiter forever? I doubt it. It is only used as a stepping stone, either to a better hospitality position or until the job someone actually wants comes available.

Pay peanuts get monkeys, it seems only more expensive restaurants that can afford to pay better wages attract good staff, or those places where there is a good tipping policy.

Sheffield does not help it's self in the fact nobody wants to pay for anything. As you see time and again here for example 'where is the cheapest' thread. Everyone wants Kobe beef but only wants to pay for stewing meat. You can't buy a Kia and expect a Mercedes. The same with most restaurants, unless you pay you will not always receive the level of service you may be expecting. If I went to Wetherspoons I wouldn't expect an in depth conversation over my wine choice, though if eating at Fischers I would expect a little more input from the staff if needed.

The Milestone may do better to manage customer expectations if it did not constantly blow it's own trumpet about how great it is and what TV shows it has been a part of. The best places concentrate on cooking and service. Rearing your own pigs might be a little different for a Sheffield restaurant but in the grand scheme of things is pointless if it isn't cooked well.

Well... I'm going to be a bit controversial and declare that I love The Milestone and have done for a while.

I ate downstairs last December (http://feastandglory.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/milestone-sheffield.html) and was impressed by the veggie dishes (they have been criticised for their veggie dishes in the past). Service had been fair enough - nothing special - but ok.

I also ate upstairs a few weeks ago and had a brilliant meal. The food was gorgeous (as was the wine - they do have some good wines) and service was absolutely spot on (and yes we were asked throughout the meal how we were enjoying it - rightly so too).

It is somewhere I count on for a good feed as I have never been disappointed.

I also adore the Milestone.

As well as going once a month as a bit of a treat, i also went on the Pig in a Day cookery course (chrimbo pressie) and loved it.

Ive also been on the Feb 8 courses for £35. There was a party of about 12 of us and we had an amazing time.

:)

Well that isn't my experience, I have to say and I have plenty of experience of "better" restaurants, not just in Sheffield, but all over the world. Entertaining/dining out has been a big part of my working life for over 20 years now. It is normal for the diner to be asked if everything is to their satisfaction and/or if anything else is needed, during the meal.

But maybe not in Sheffield then?

It is the way it is asked, it doesn't necessarily need to be done in a broad Sheffield way of 'How's tha scran love', a simple, 'are you both enjoying your meal' is even the norm in most Michelin restaurants.

The ongoing issue is the fact that waiting on tables pays poorly. In the USA and France for example being a waiter is a profession. Does anyone here know a waiter that is 30+ that plans on being a waiter forever? I doubt it. It is only used as a stepping stone, either to a better hospitality position or until the job someone actually wants comes available.

Pay peanuts get monkeys, it seems only more expensive restaurants that can afford to pay better wages attract good staff, or those places where there is a good tipping policy.

Sheffield does not help it's self in the fact nobody wants to pay for anything. As you see time and again here for example 'where is the cheapest' thread. Everyone wants Kobe beef but only wants to pay for stewing meat. You can't buy a Kia and expect a Mercedes. The same with most restaurants, unless you pay you will not always receive the level of service you may be expecting. If I went to Wetherspoons I wouldn't expect an in depth conversation over my wine choice, though if eating at Fischers I would expect a little more input from the staff if needed.

The Milestone may do better to manage customer expectations if it did not constantly blow it's own trumpet about how great it is and what TV shows it has been a part of. The best places concentrate on cooking and service. Rearing your own pigs might be a little different for a Sheffield restaurant but in the grand scheme of things is pointless if it isn't cooked well.

Agree totally with everything you have said here. It's important to compare like with like and not forget where you are when you are dining. I like your Wetherspoons/Fischers analogy too - that summarises it well for me.

I've no axe to grind with the Milestone - I'm just saying on both occasions that we went it wasn't brilliant by any stretch - and it was very expensive for an establishment of that kind. I don't mind paying Marco@Milano's prices to eat food as good as that served up at Marco@Milano's in a restaurant as nice as Marco@Milano's. But when you are paying those kind of prices to eat in a dingy place like the Milestone and the food doesn't compare then... what's the point?

i visited it on friday night with a friend of mine, expecting it to be full at 8.30pm and it was only half full. I haven't been for a couple of years as it was bad and thought it may have changed.... but it was only worse. Very small menu and no specials, it didnt really grab me at all.I had the wild mushroom starter that was nice and my friend had the ham hock terrine that was ok. then for main i had the rump steak, it was cold, with mash that was cold and cold plate.Service was good but at the end of the day its the kitchen thats at fault.

Crumbs I would have thought being a Friday you would have to book a few weeks in advance not just turn up ?? very strange setup.

Crumbs I would have thought being a Friday you would have to book a few weeks in advance not just turn up ?? very strange setup.

I can't think of any restaurant in Sheffield which requires a few weeks advance booking... bar the Old Vicarage perhaps.