The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

• 2 years later...

I went to the Milestone last Friday and had a totally different experience to what's posted above. I think they must have changed a lot in the 2 1/2 years since the previous post was made.

For a start there's no distinction between upstairs and downstairs now, it's just one big restaurant. And far from being empty the place was rammed.

I was hugely impressed with the food which came in slightly small portions (which I prefer). Some people who like massive platefuls might be disappointed there, but you can always choose to have a pudding to fill up. The food was imaginative without being too arty-farty, in fact it was just good well cooked food. We'll be going again.

And as for value, I don't think it can be beaten on the early-bird menu. We had to examine the bill because it was so small! Every day from 5pm - 7pm you get 2 courses for £14 or 3 courses for £16.50, which includes a pint of beer or glass of wine. That's amazing value.

Oh, and I like it that they don't come and ask you if the food is OK whilst you're eating. I hate that in other restaurants, especially when they ask after you've only had one mouthful. If the food is not OK then I'm quite capable of complaining without being asked.

Edited by Nagel

I was fairly underwhelmed when we visited for the tasting menu. We go to quite a few Michelin restaurants (including the Hand and Flowers which is pretty similar) and we got the feeling Milestone was trying to be something it's not at the moment. The waiter was pretty condescending trying to show how much he knew about the menu but in reality when questions were asked he couldnt in fact answer them.

The food was ok, the pigeon was overcooked and the menu just didn't quite hang together. It was, just, an ok night

Hand & Flowers has a £15 fixed lunch menu, so it should be on par with the Milestone...

(I only know because I'm currently obsessed with Tom Kettering and want to go there)

You don't (normally) judge a Michelin-starred restaurant by its fixed lunch menu though.

I just too a look at the Hand & Flowers' website. Their main courses range in price from £24.50 to £38.50. The Milestone's range from £11.95 to £14.95 on the evening menu or £7.95 to £9.95 on the lunch menu.

Back when they had the separate upstairs and downstairs menus, the upstairs certainly had aspirations towards Michelin-starredness (and many of the dishes they served were good enough for that accolade, but it wasn't consistent enough). Nowadays it's much more gastropub-style (and very good too!)