The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

Downstairs is more pubby than the upstairs.

It does revolve around food, but to my mind it counts as a pub because (a) They are not sniffy if you use a table just for a drink (unlike for instance the Plough near Hathersage, which looks like a pub but discourages drinkers who aren't eating) (b) There is a proper drinking area around the bar (not big, but at least its there.

The food is excellent, the draught beer is interesting, the bottled beers are adventurous, the prices are not 'low' but are certainly not a ripoff, the atmosphere is laid back but civilised (no lager-boys on the razzle).

Of course it's near the Bottom Wellie on one side and the Fat Cat / Kelham Island on the other. And bang on the tram route.

I've eaten at the Milestone reasonably regularly. Mainly the gastro menu downstairs, but also a few meals in the restaurant. The food in the restaurant is fantastic. Yes, the portions are not big, but I wouldn't expect them to be for the quality of food you get.

Personally, I think the food is as good if not better than some supposedly superior restaurants. A friend who is a real 'foody' thinks that it's better than a few Michelin starred establishments she's eaten in.

Hope that helps.

Agree totally, no more to add.

Get in for the early bird menu before 7 and you're onto a winner (2 course and one glass of wine or a pint of local beer for £12).

Bang on - do as SwissHeavy says you can't go wrong! I eat and drink at the Milestone regularly and always enjoy it - the atmosphere is spot on, the staff are really friendly, good drink selection and the food is great. The gastro pub (downstairs) was recently awarded a Michelin star as it happens!

Only eaten upstairs once and that was for a fancy seafood and wine tasting evening - probably slightly too fancy for my tastes if I'm honest but it was a fun night and I staggered out!

Incidentally, I read that the Milestone guys were opening another place but I don't know much more than that - any ideas?

Well, I was confused as to whether I would really enjoy it here. So many mixed reviews of the upstairs restaurant (and I did want to eat upstairs as this was a birthday treat). I was unsure whether I would be satisfied with the quality of the food given the prices.

We turned up at 8 and had some pre-dinner drinks in the downstairs bar. There was a nice atmosphere down here and I noticed the early bird menu which looked interesting and very good value for money - but I was still happy to be eating upstairs (eating at 7 is just that little bit too early for me and the menu didn't look THAT good!).

After our drinks we were shown to our table. The room is lovely. It's obvious that they don't like to cram people in together as there was a sufficient space between each table (maybe this will change when the restaurant becomes more popular). The table setting was contemporary and simple. There was a nice atmosphere. It wasn't too busy, but it certainly wasn't dead.

We ordered wine - they didn't have our first choice as they are changing their wine list - so the waitress recommended one of their Bin Ends - a 2001 Borolo which was a good choice and complemented our food well.

So the food. Well the meal started with amuse bouche of venison liver. Now I love venison and I hate liver, but this was cooked so well that it barely even tasted of liver. It was just gently seared on the outside and nice and rare on the inside.

Starters - I had carpaccio of lambs heart. I'm not a huge fan of offal but I do like to try new things which is why I went for this. I was pleasantly surprised. It just tasted like lamb.... which is just fine! My husband had a rabbit and bean sew and he wasn't too chuffed with his - he said it was ok. He'd never had rabbit before so that may have added to the 'ok-ness' of the dish!

For mains I had Duck served with mash potato and roast beetroot. There was also some sauce - but I can't remember what it was. Lovely. The duck was cooked perfectly. Nice and pink inside, but with a nice crispy skin to the outside. My husband had stuffed partridge breast and a confit of partridge leg. I personally think that my dish was nicer and I didn't pay too much attention to his, but he was more than happy. I do remember that the confit was rather tasty. We were also served a selection of veg and new potatoes... which I personally didn't think were needed. The mains are a decent size.

Then there were pre-desserts desserts. I don't know how to explain this. We had a large spoon each with some kind of whiskey flavoured goo on it (believe me, it was so much nicer than I have described it!!)

For dessert itself, we decided that we would share one sweet and then share cheese and biscuits. We had a beetroot cake with a blood orange reduction which was amazing.... like the middle of a jaffa cake in a sauce. It went very well with the beetroot cake. As this was a special meal, we had a dessert wine, and I have forgotten what it was called, but it was delicious.

We had port with our Cheese and Biscuits. It was a nice selection of smoked brie, shropshire blue, cornish yarg and I missed the name of the other cheese but it was crumbly so probably a wensleydale. It was all served with a chutney, pickled onions, piece of fruit cake and homemade bread/biscuits.

So, to summarise..... the food was interesting and delicious (the kind of food that I have been looking for in Sheffield), the portions were more than sufficient (we were stuffed at the end), the wine selection was good and the atmosphere was nice. I also think that £102 for pre-dinner drinks (G&T and Peroni), nice bottle of red, amuse bouche, starter, main, pre-dessert dessert, dessert, glass of dessert wine, glass of port is actually good value for money considering the standard of the food.

I would highly recommend the restaurant to anyone wanting to splash the boat out a little in Sheffield and I will certainly be going back.

Cheers Claret for the review. I might have to give upstairs another whirl from that review!

Welsh, it's not Michelin starred. It's a kinda reccommendation thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they're aiming for a star though.

Well - if you do, I hope you enjoy it!! Food is so personal isn't it?!

Having eaten there just the once, I would have to say in my experience, the food was very nice. We sat upstairs, which at best had the atmosphere of a school dinner hall. If I ever go again then I would definitely try sitting downstairs, it seems more intimate and cosy.