The Milestone Restaurant - your opinions.

steveroberts

Although I love the atmosphere, and have been going there on and off for drinks for the last 5 years or so, there are definitely better places in Sheffield for food. In terms of similar places, Mish Mash on Ecclesall Road is better and cheaper, Kitchen on Eccy Road South is better and on a par price-wise (we live in Hillsborough but prefer to go the extra distance), and Morans in Dore is also fantastic. I'm beginning to wonder if the Milestone isn't an Emperor's new clothes scenario... Or, maybe we're missing something :suspect:

Although I love the atmosphere, and have been going there on and off for drinks for the last 5 years or so, there are definitely better places in Sheffield for food. In terms of similar places, Mish Mash on Ecclesall Road is better and cheaper, Kitchen on Eccy Road South is better and on a par price-wise (we live in Hillsborough but prefer to go the extra distance), and Morans in Dore is also fantastic. I'm beginning to wonder if the Milestone isn't an Emperor's new clothes scenario... Or, maybe we're missing something :suspect:

I agree that the food at both Kitchen and Moran's is very good. However (unless it's just me), neither has the lovely relaxed ambience of the Milestone. I really like it that once you've got a table, even if it's 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, you can then stay as long as you want and no one hassles you to leave or even order more. My other half reluctantly allowed that the food at Kitchen was 'nice...but it's no Milestone'!!

After having a Sunday dinner at Moran's I was very much so looking forward to going back and we did last night. We had great expectations. After all everyone raves about it and it is listed higher than Milestone in the Good Food Guide. Beginnings were good. Service was very good and we were welcomed nicely. Starters were also very good and we thought they promised of good mains... but the mains were dull.

I had the lamb, he had the duck. Both were well cooked (although the husband's duck was more grey than pink), but dull, mine especially. It came in a puddle of sauce - so much I could have poured it off and had a broth on the side -and just looked unappealing. There were potatoes and a bit of veg. Nothing of any creativity and nothing I won't have forgotten by next week. We constantly compared it to the Milestone and couldn't understand why the Milestone wasn't better appreciated. It didn't help that I had the best lamb dish I have EVER had at Milestone!

When the waitress took the bill my husband remarked that the starters were the best bit. She agreed and said that the chefs would be creative with the starters but that the people of Sheffield were more concerned with quantity rather than creativity in the main courses. This certainly explains the dull main courses! But I am a person of Sheffield and I demand MORE!

It's a shame because the chef has skill, but he obviously feels that he needs to accommodate those who don't appreciate creativity. It does make sense. The place was full of groups aged 40-50.

I think there will always be a bit of a debate about the Milestone. It's for those who like good, well cooked food but with a creative twist. Morans is just a bit safer. Shame.

I think there will always be a bit of a debate about the Milestone. It's for those who like good, well cooked food but with a creative twist. Morans is just a bit safer. Shame.

I actually can't believe what I'm reading here. It's like I went to a completely different restaurant. I've eaten at many, but the Milestone was single handedly the worst dining experience I've ever had. The meal I had was a million miles away from "well cooked food with a creative twist". We paid premium upstairs prices for xmas dinner and got, broken glass on seats, leather like ravioli, split sauces, cold sauces, shrivelled veg, dried out poultry.. They contrived to get every aspect of the meal completely wrong, and took 3 and a 1/2 hours to labour over it. It was a total disaster. An absolute car crash.

When I heard that the Milestone had been selected as a front runner for Ramsay's Best Restaurant I was genuinely angry. It doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Moran's.

I actually can't believe what I'm reading here. It's like I went to a completely different restaurant. I've eaten at many, but the Milestone was single handedly the worst dining experience I've ever had. The meal I had was a million miles away from "well cooked food with a creative twist". We paid premium upstairs prices for xmas dinner and got, broken glass on seats, leather like ravioli, split sauces, cold sauces, shrivelled veg, dried out poultry.. They contrived to get every aspect of the meal completely wrong, and took 3 and a 1/2 hours to labour over it. It was a total disaster. An absolute car crash.

When I heard that the Milestone had been selected as a front runner for Ramsay's Best Restaurant I was genuinely angry. It doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Moran's.

is that the only time you've been to the milestone??

It's just my opinion. I've had a couple of good meals at Milstone - good food and no issues whatsoever with service etc. Unfortunately Morans was just boring.

That's not the first time I have heard about poor food at xmas time. My thinking is they just packed in too many people over a short space of time that the kitchen and in turn the service staff went into the weeds. My then flatmate had a very similar experience.

Everyone who's been keeping in touch with this thread knows I am very mixed about the place. The downstairs bit is fine and the early bird menu is great value. Go upstairs and a-la-carte; things go a bit pear shaped.

It'll be interesting to see how it fairs with Ramsey. I was watching the Indian competition and inbetween they had snippets featuring the Milestone with the secret diners; it showed the diner giving the waiter (recognised him, shows how often I go in there) a right earful. So we'll see!

It's certainly not a great place for veggies but then I wasn't expecting it to be which is why I hadn't bothered with it until a friend wanted to go there for her birthday.

As tasty as a risotto can be, it's sometimes not the prettiest of dishes. I would have hoped that with the rep of the place, they could have put a few leaves on the side to make it a bit more presentable.

This and the soup I had for my starter were also incredibly creamy and salty so I wasn't too impressed.

However, the ominovore dishes looked great (very decorative too) and were well received and I thought the service (and atmosphere in general) was very good.

So while it wasn't 'bad' in any shape or form, I just want to let any other veggie folk know that in my opinion, despite the high prices, the Milestone doesn't really have a lot to offer in terms of actual food. A good venue but two disappointing dishes.

And I doubt tutelage from Gordon Ramsey is gonna make it more veggie friendly either ;)