Toys ,games and goodies from the ghost of Christmas past.

echo beach

The first Christmas toys I remember getting were two farm sets of tinplate tractor and trailer with wheeled hay rake. It was Christmas 1950 and we had loads of visitors who all called to see my new baby sister born on 21 Dec. I've always imagined there might still have been a shortage of toys post war so the limited selection meant I ended up with two of the same set!

In later years I had a walkie talkie set which might have been the Dan Dare ones mentioned above. It consisted of two purple coloured plastic handsets joined by a thin strong twine. If you pulled the twine tight and spoke the words could be heard at the other end. There was a loud whistle at the bottom of the handset to attract the attention of your friend at the other end!

One year I got a huge Meccano set in a ply-wood box made by my dad. It was obviously second hand, incorporating some pre-war a parts for making aeroplane models, but I loved it and played with it for years. Wish we'd kept it!

I remember me and my brother getting a "davos" sledge ( and fighting over who would sit on the front !!) a " triang " bike from redgates down the moor ( 1957 )

also, remember " Black bob annuals ,selection boxes , and a 5/- postal order from my uncle

Also have memories of getting a "sooty " drum kit ( i was about 3 ,and drove mi' mum & dad crackers with it lol ) plus an archie andrews easel, popeye and bobbsey twins annuals when i was 7

I remember getting a "Trik Trak" in the 60's. 2 battery operated cars than ran on the floor & had bits of plastic "road" that changed direction of the cars. Had them both running all over the house until the batteries gave up. Actually found one on ebay the other year so I bought it & tried it out once.

did anyone get a chemistry set? can remember growing copper sulphate crystals and making hydrogen sulphide. also remember the scooter with blow up tyres (white) and being unable to use it because of the snow, dan dare radio set, painting by numbers, selection boxes and the building set that I now know is called Bako. As I am female and 50+ my parents must have been quite modern for those days.

I remember getting a "Trik Trak" in the 60's. 2 battery operated cars than ran on the floor & had bits of plastic "road" that changed direction of the cars. Had them both running all over the house until the batteries gave up. Actually found one on ebay the other year so I bought it & tried it out once.

Trik Trak!! yeah!! I remember that

did anyone have the Hot Wheels garage too which opened up like a suitcase?

This was one of my favourite Christmas presents as a kid - brilliant game. The joy stick controlled a magnet under the board, which moved the vehicles about. I remember that you were instructed to lightly dust the board surface with talc to aid the movement of the cars and bikes. At a slightly earlier age I was given another game which worked on the same principle, except the board was designed to look like a black and white tiled floor. There were about 7 plastic crates, which had a horizontally hinged flaps at each end, which meant you could drive a small model of a pouncing cat through them. The idea was that a small mouse was hidden inside one of the crates, out of sight of the 'driver'. The player who discovered the mouse by entering the least number of crates was the winner.

Archived