In praise of winter tyres

Your summer tyres will be OK in the shed (they'll have a much easier life there than on the car!) - but don't store them upright. (Either stack them on their sides or get a 'tyre tree' [a pole on a base; the pole goes through the rims])

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been using Barum Polaris 2's for the past 3 winters. They're a marked improvement over 'summer' tyres and they are NOT speed limited. (Well, they are speed limited - but the speed limit is 150mph, so it's not really a problem.)

They do wear more rapidly than summer tyres. - They seem to do about 75% of the mileage I would get out of summer tyres.

Thanks Rupert. Unless I tidy the shed they will be piled on top of loads of other stuff - my shelving collapsed earlier in the year, and well, you know how it is!

Might start looking out for some cheap steel wheels at a scrap yard then; it'd be good to have at least one car moveable this winter.

Has anyone fitted winter tyres this year yet?

I quite fancy getting some on the family car (needs new tyres anyway) but I don't know where to keep the summer wheels. Would they be ok in my shed, or will the cold kill them?

Sometimes it's better to just stay in bed with a big tin of Cadbury's Roses.

... but if you do insist on driving, your best bet is to get advice from

Hi Q Tyres of Leppings Lane.

(Next door to BP Petrol Station)

Last year I was house bound for several days due to the snow and having a car that was totally useless in those conditions. We looked at winter tyres but a set of wheels and tyres would have cost over £3K and the car would still have been pretty useless. Instead I ended up with a very cheap Toyota RAV-4 which got me around just dandy. The theory being if someone is going to ding your car on the ice, it is far better if they ding one that cost £3K.

It is still stuck in the garage waiting for the first snowflake of the coming winter.

Last year I was house bound for several days due to the snow and having a car that was totally useless in those conditions. We looked at winter tyres but a set of wheels and tyres would have cost over £3K and the car would still have been pretty useless. Instead I ended up with a very cheap Toyota RAV-4 which got me around just dandy. The theory being if someone is going to ding your car on the ice, it is far better if they ding one that cost £3K.

It is still stuck in the garage waiting for the first snowflake of the coming winter.

I have two cars which together cost me less than £3k, and they both get used every day - I don't see the point spending any more on a car whatever the time of year. You do know that you don't have to fit the same size winter tyre as summer tyre, don't you? And you can fit them to steel wheels from the scrap yard?

• 1 month later...
I've just opted for some autosocks for my car. I know some people who have had them and they are suppsoed to be great in ice and snow but should be taken off when driving on tarmac. It should hopefully make driving around crookes a bit easier if the snow comes again and I urgently need to move the car... though to be honest im enjoying the walk to work at the moment even if it does mean an extra hour.

video of them in action here.

Are they supposed to keep your car tyres warm?

Archived