What's wrong with Britain these days ?

Lestat ,

I've been having nightmares and daymares since reading your comment on wristbands.

I imagined millions , in fact billions of wristbands coming into Britain in huge containers. Planes flying continuously into all our airports with wristbands------like the Berlin Airlift with a difference.

Then it would literally rain wristbands till they clogged up the streets.

Eventually Chavs would be fighting about them , " Nah den dee , o die lookin' at my wristband ? "

"One off the wrist " would soon carry a whole new meaning.

off topic but: I am sorry to warn of caution saxon51, although technically you are correct but private hire have been given equal status with black cabs by SCC, but only on this matter.

There was a court case in which the word "taxi" was deemed to apply to both trades in that they carry passengers from one point to another (black cabs are termed hackney carriages). The private hire federation successfully argued with the council to give them access to bus gates and bus lanes. Before that of course Sheffield was one of the few strange places that did not recognise hackney carriage as a public service. The black cab union pressed for change in status and when finally it came, the private hire also jumped on the bandwagon, and can officially use bus lanes/gates. sorry.:)

Although I accept all taxi drivers could show more consideration for other road users when nipping in and out of bus lanes.

Thanks D_A_V. I wasn't aware there had been changes.

This now begs the question "Why?"

Surely the only difference between me hiring a car for the day from Hertz and driving it myself, and taking a private hire car, is that I've hired the driver as well.

Oh well!!! Another British 'silly rule' I suppose.:loopy:

Originally posted by Greybeard

What aspect of modern consumerism gets your goat ?

I seem to have opted out of the consumer fashion stakes. I don't own a tv set, thus I don't have a dvd either. I do have two CD players - but they were both given to me as Christmas presents.

I don't have a watch, and although I've recently acquired a microwave oven, that's because my sister gave me her old one.

I've recently got rid of the car, and now travel by public transport. When the washing machine broke down, I started using the launderette. I do have an electric kettle, and a fridge, but not a freezer.

I like to holiday in Snowdonia, where we stay in a cottage that has no electricity, and hence no mod cons - and it's bliss. I opted out of modern consumerism a long time ago, and I've never tried to keep up with the Joneses - thank goodness. It just seems so stressful to continually crave for the latest gadget, and new model this or that.

However, as it's getting a bit dark now, it's time I went and lit the oil lamp! :hihi:

Originally posted by redrobbo

I like to holiday in Snowdonia, where we stay in a cottage that has no electricity, and hence no mod cons - and it's bliss. I opted out of modern consumerism a long time ago, and I've never tried to keep up with Joneses - thank goodness. It just seems so stressful to continually crave for the latest gadget, and new model this or that.

We used to live in Snowdonia and it was hell, - there's not just the Joneses to keep up with but also all the Williams, Roberts, Jenkins, Owens, Wynnes, Pritchards, Hughes (and Pughs) etc. etc. :D

Originally posted by Greybeard

We used to live in Snowdonia and it was hell, - there's not just the Joneses to keep up with but also all the Williams, Roberts, Jenkins, Owens, Wynnes, Pritchards, Hughes (and Pughs) etc. etc. :D

You mentioned the Pritchards? Is that JoePritchard by any chance? :hihi:

Archived