The Abbey Pub Applies for a new Late Licence

Should The Abbey Pub Open until Midnight and 1am  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Abbey Pub Open until Midnight and 1am

• Yes I want to go for a very late drink
    • No I don't want to be kept awake by loud shouting and music

According to the free Local Camra ( real ale ) magazine, several sheffield pubs have applied to vary their licenses to the new late licences, to allow Drinking up to Midnight on sunday to thursday, and 1am on Friday and Saturday.

Local to me is the Abbey at woodseats, and I find it quite alarming that they should be thinking about opening to that time of night. The place is frequently annoying to their near neighbours as there is often lots of noise in the large garden late at night, and they frequently have unoffical parties with loud music after hours.

I have complained to the landlord in the past about the lights which shine all night into my bedroom window, and he just told me that the Brewery told them they have to do it. This is definitely not true as I know a few people who would know better and they assure me it's down to the management.

I understand that the new Licenses are only granted to pubs if they are extremely good neighbours and if enough people complain the police will force them to close for 24hours or longer. I know that the police have been called to this pub a couple of times in the last month, due to the noise they make late at night, so it sounds like the place will be forced to shut real soon. What does everyone else think?

Is this just another case of "not in my back yard" or is it unfair that any pub should open late when there are houses nearby.

I would just like to add that I go to pubs and drink myself, and frequently travel abroad and enjoy drinking in bars when they stay open late. So I may occasionally go out for a late drink myself, but I don't see how such a noisy pub could be a good neighbour if it allows it's very noisy regulars to drink for longer.

It's up to the neighbours to lodge a complaint to the licencing board. If you get enough people to complain individually, not a petition as that is considered as one complaint, then you may prevent the extension. You could also enquire of the police whether or not they have had complaints, ditto environmental services.

[pedantry]Licence = noun, license = verb [/pedantry]

as part of the new licensing process, you'll find that most if not all pubs will apply for late licenses...just in case they want to use them at some point. It doesn't necesarilly mean they'll open for the extended hours straight away if at all.

Most 'local' type pubs seem to be applying for the same, generally that extra hour midweek and marginally later at the weekend. I've heard this is what the council has been reccommending. This does seem reasonable, and if you think at the moment everyone leaves at 11:20pm together, and there is much chatter and shouting outside as a result to disturb residents. With any luck people will now drift off gradually between 11 and 12.

You should also bear in mind that under the new rules, the licenced hours is what hours the pub is allowed to be open serving alcohol, there is nothing to say the pub must open that late every night.

Hi AndyC, I hope you're right about that. I for one, do not begrudge anybody having a late drink as long as they don't disturb anybody. I will enjoy one myself.

I think the problem in Britain stems back 90 years to WW1 when drinking up time was originally established. Maybe if it was repealed soon after British drinkers would not have the reputation they have now.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note that on my evening walk tonight, I noticed that The Chantrey and the Woodseats Palace both have notices in their front windows to vary their licences.

The Chantrey one said they will be extending their opening hours to up to an hour later every night.

I didn't read the one in the Woodseats Palace because there was a lady sitting there and it would have appeared like I had stopped and was staring down her cleavage, probably enabling a free night's accomodation in the cell across the road after "accidentally falling down the stairs" for being a "perv" Which would have been an utter mistake, and clearly totally and utterly wrong officer, I won't do it again honest mlaud!

The new Licensing Act 2003 comes into force in November. All licensed premises must apply for a continution/variation of their existing license by the end of this week. A notice must be published of their intended opening hours. These will be deemed granted unless there is an objection. Only the police and people living in the vicinity of the licensed premises can object though, and the objectors must state the grounds on which they are objecting.

Licensing officers will try and resolve objections. If these are unresolved, the objections will be placed before the Licensing Board for their determination. Objectors can attend the Licensing Board to put their case.

The Licensing Board is currently meeting on average 3 times a week until the end of September to deal with the number of unresolved objections.

Originally posted by redrobbo

The new Licensing Act 2003 comes into force in November. All licensed premises must apply for a continution/variation of their existing license by the end of this week. A notice must be published of their intended opening hours. These will be deemed granted unless there is an objection. Only the police and people living in the vicinity of the licensed premises can object though, and the objectors must state the grounds on which they are objecting.

Licensing officers will try and resolve objections. If these are unresolved, the objections will be placed before the Licensing Board for their determination. Objectors can attend the Licensing Board to put their case.

The Licensing Board is currently meeting on average 3 times a week until the end of September to deal with the number of unresolved objections.

Does This Also Apply To Late Night Take Away Shops?

I Recently Saw One In A Chinese Takeaway,But When I Asked The Proprietor About It,All I Got Was A Rant About Having To Pay Extra To The Council To Stay Open After 11pm .

Archived