Anyone remember this shop?

giddygoat

This 1960s photo mentions Eve Brown between Bell Bros. and Cockaynes. The 1973 Kelly's Directory gives the Midland Bank (i.e. Banker's Draft) at the beginning of Market Place, then "Yorkshire Insurance House" (offices) followed by Bell Bros. at No 17, Visionhire at No 19 and Timpsons shoes at No 21 (these last two might be the shops visible in the photo in post #4). Then of course Schofields (Cockaynes as was) at No 1 Angel Street. Above the bank in High Street was Manfield's shoe shop, H. Samuel jewellers, Swears & Wells furs and Polly of Piccadilly clothes.

This 1960s photo mentions Eve Brown between Bell Bros. and Cockaynes. The 1973 Kelly's Directory gives the Midland Bank (i.e. Banker's Draft) at the beginning of Market Place, then "Yorkshire Insurance House" (offices) followed by Bell Bros. at No 17, Visionhire at No 19 and Timpsons shoes at No 21 (these last two might be the shops visible in the photo in post #4). Then of course Schofields (Cockaynes as was) at No 1 Angel Street. Above the bank in High Street was Manfield's shoe shop, H. Samuel jewellers, Swears & Wells furs and Polly of Piccadilly clothes.

Thats it Polly of Piccadilly. cheers hillsbro.

Thats it Polly of Piccadilly. cheers hillsbro.
You're welcome!.:) The shop can be seen here: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=v03445

As it happens, I used to work at the Midland Bank branch in Market Place (1970-76), and my trusty old Kelly's Directory for 1973 was rescued from the bin there when the 1974 one came out!

Thank you thank you thank you, all!

I can sleep now, lol..

I had "Poppy's" in my head, knew it wasn't, but wondered if it was something similar, so I wasn't too far off, but would never have remembered on my own! :loopy:

Must email my sister now, as I've tormented her for long enough about it. Yes, I know it's nearly 5am. Trust me, she'll want to know.. :hihi:

Next question.. what happened to Kelly's directory? Are they still published? Suppose not.. they were handy things to have! Can you get old copies anywhere, or are they very very expensive? :roll:

The last Kelly's directory for Sheffield & Rotherham was the 1974 edition, and I haven't seen any later ones than this. I suppose they were largely superseded by Yellow Pages etc. Some of them are now available on CD's (here is the local one for 1925) or can be accessed via websites such as this one.:)

Archived