Anyone remember this shop?

giddygoat

Thank you thank you thank you, all!

I can sleep now, lol..

I had "Poppy's" in my head, knew it wasn't, but wondered if it was something similar, so I wasn't too far off, but would never have remembered on my own! :loopy:

Must email my sister now, as I've tormented her for long enough about it. Yes, I know it's nearly 5am. Trust me, she'll want to know.. :hihi:

Next question.. what happened to Kelly's directory? Are they still published? Suppose not.. they were handy things to have! Can you get old copies anywhere, or are they very very expensive? :roll:

Hahahahaha,

Yep, I did want to know ! Thank God someone put her out of her misery! Actually it was fun seeing the picture of the shops, in fact Manfield's shoe shop was next door, and our Mum worked there , part time for a while.She was always coming home with pairs of shoes in odd sizes that she had bought cheap...Then never wore cos it was too uncomfortable !!!!!

Following on from that, what can anybody tell me about the Shop W.Cockayne's?

I think that it must be linked to my ancestors; my great grandmother's family were the Cockaynes.

Cheers

There's a thread here about Cockayne's, started by John Cockayne. The firm was founded in 1829 according to this photo. The Angel Street department store was taken over by Schofields in the early 1970s.

• 1 year later...

Archived