Steel manufacturer history

samgeo

I have an ancestor, Henry Johnson, born 1809. Family tradition has it that he was a member of the family who founded Christopher Johnson & Co. steel producers, Sheffield. His parents were Joseph Johnson and Nancy Hammond, and Henry was reportedly born in Leicestershire, not Sheffield.

I have been unable to find any record of a Johnson steel company in Sheffield.

I would appreciate it if anyone was able to confirm that such a company existed.

I note that there is currently a steel company of another name in Johnson Street, and wonder whether the street name grew out of a pre existing company of that name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I found these two listings in the directories at http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

Johnson, Christopher (, manufacturer).

Residing at Canklow House, in 1862.

Recorded in: Drake's Rotherham & District Directory - 1862.

Johnson, Christopher and Henry (, merchants' clerks).

Residing at Shrewsbury Road, in 1833.

Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

whites 1876 gives a Christopher Johnson The Grange Carlton Notts, and his firm as

Christopher Johnson And Co,manufactors steel files tools all kinds of cutlery plated desserts etc,

western works Portobello St Sheffield.

1927 Kellys directories 207/ 233 Porto Christopher Johnson Cutlery manu then at

1963 Kellys Wellington st. knives cutlery razers electro plate.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to identify a knife that my dad purchased in the Boston, MA, USA area about 1930. It reminds me of a "boot" knife. It is about 10-inches long, double edged, symetrical blade, the blade itself is about 6-inches long x 0.87 wide at the base, appears "stubby" to me - once past the point there is almost no width taper increase to the base, and has a smallish wooden handle with a plain shield on one side; and, the blade is stamped on both sides with "CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON & Co/WESTERN WORKS SHEFFIELD".

Thanks and have a great day - Larry

• 4 years later...

Only just seen this re Christopher Johnson & Co as I was researching some info re a video the Hawley Collection have from c1930 showing product manufacture at their Western Works in Portobello Street. The film can be viewed by contacting the Hawley Collection at Kelham Island Museum.

• 4 months later...

Christopher Johnson & Co had an address of Western Works Sheffield as their Manufacturing base. They also had a London Showroom at 118 - 122 Holborn with a phone number of Holborn 4621.

Indeed their Registered Trade mark was C.J.

I have a letter written, to a relation, by Christopher Johnson dated November 9th 1938 about some cutlery .

JOHNSON, Christopher (Qualifying property, Warehouse & Shops, Portobello).

Address: Greenhill, Nr Sheffield, Sheffield in 1864-65.

Recorded in: Sheffield Burgess Rolls.

I worked in the Western Works in the early sixties when it was John Donnelly & Sons Cutlery Manufacturer.

Edited by lazarus