Saturday morning matinees of the 60s

eastbank

I used to go to the Plaza in Handsworth late 50s early 60s.I used to have a shilling to go with .9d to get in and 3d for an ice lolly.I used to see Roy Rodgers ,Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy .They are the only ones i remember.

My husband used to go to The Star on Eccelsall Road in the 60s .

I used to go to the Plaza in Handsworth late 50s early 60s.I used to have a shilling to go with .9d to get in and 3d for an ice lolly.I used to see Roy Rodgers ,Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy .They are the only ones i remember.

My husband used to go to The Star on Eccelsall Road in the 60s .

was it packed out every saturday...and did it start about 10....

can anyone tell me where they went,what films they saw and how much it cost....doing research for a new book...i used to go to the essoldo at the side of the devonshire on herries road...

Rex Cinema at Intake. The matinees were usually cowboys and indians. Rin Tin Tin was the best. Rin Tin Tin was a lassie-type dog and the closing scene was always the same - the dog pelting along at top speed, closely followed by the US Cavalry - every kid in the audience on his feet going bezerk.

Rex Cinema at Intake. The matinees were usually cowboys and indians. Rin Tin Tin was the best. Rin Tin Tin was a lassie-type dog and the closing scene was always the same - the dog pelting along at top speed, closely followed by the US Cavalry - every kid in the audience on his feet going bezerk.

we used to fly out of the cinema on herries road...like screaming banshees...then spend the afternoon on the tip...kicking lumps out of one another....cowboys and indians..our arrows had suckers on them...until one bright spark used to sharpen the ends of his...think we hung him...:hihi::hihi::hihi: upside down over an open fire...didn't scalp him though..

we used to fly out of the cinema on herries road...like screaming banshees...then spend the afternoon on the tip...kicking lumps out of one another....cowboys and indians..our arrows had suckers on them...until one bright spark used to sharpen the ends of his...think we hung him...:hihi::hihi::hihi: upside down over an open fire...didn't scalp him though..

theres allas one ..:hihi::hihi::hihi:

i used to go to the essoldo / capital at lane top around the early 60's and sometimes the ritz down wordsworth ave.

can you remember "cheering " when the baddies got shot in westerns , and "booing " when the picture froze or started slipping ?

i used to enjoy the lone ranger , but it used to p*ss me off when you had to go back the following week to see if he was still alive , happy days !!

Archived