Saturday morning matinees of the 60s

eastbank

Me too, I used to go in the late fifties and can remember all the ones nosy nellie mentions. It was the Pavillion I went to and I remember going on my birthday and went up on stage as a birthday treat. I was taken into the projector room where I was allowed to switch on the projector......

As I went off the stage they all sang "I married Joan" which was the title song of a comedy programme that was on telly at the time.:roll::hihi:

Early 60s at the Gaumont Saturday club, used to sing "We come along on Saturday morning greeting everybody with a smile, We come along on Saturday morning knowing it's well worthwhile...........etc"

Spent much of the time ducking missiles being thrown at the screen.

The Essoldo was on barnsley rd I used to go there and the abc in town

I used to go there but it was saturday afternoon

it was 9 punce to get in (I think anyway)

It would start with a cartoon, usually Looney Tunes

There would be a feature film, I liked the ones from The Childrens Film Foundation best, hated the westerns or historical stuff

Then there would be the serial, Flash Gordon or I remember the Famous Five which was better.

The cinemaa was thirties art deco, the smell was very fusty and cig burns in the seats...:gag:

There were 2 thirties style satues on either side of the cinema up on the wall

they were of women dressed in thirties style dresses, I used to love those, I think they had torches in their hands...

the Saturday morning matinee I used to go to was the Minors Matinee at the ABC, Angel Street.

I remember my "boyfriend" (we were 13) being so tight, he'd say "I'll see you inside" so he didn't have to pay the 5p it would have cost to get in. (Now, that's 5p in new money! Not 5d!! a whole Shilling! The tight-fisted sod! :hihi: :hihi:)

(oh, and he'd spend the whole time messing about with his mates, fighting, and throwing sweets and popcorn about)

Do you remember singing this ?

We are the boys and girls well known as

Minors of the ABC

And every Saturday we'll Line up

To watch the films we like and shout aloud with glee

We like to laugh and have our sing song

'Cause a happy crowd are weeeeee

We're all pals together.

We're Minors of the ABC!

Happy days :D

• 9 months later...
can anyone tell me where they went,what films they saw and how much it cost....doing research for a new book...i used to go to the essoldo at the side of the devonshire on herries road...

Killamarsh saturday mornings.

First time at night Dam busters.

Also Manor topand Rex intake.

Remember the usherettes at the interval selling popcorn, ice cream etc?.

Well the longest serving one ever was Mrs June Burkinshaw, I can give you her adress if you want it. She will have loads of info for you she worked from the early sixties right up until the late 80's.

There was always an usherette who made Rosa Klebb look like a page three girl. I recall me and the lads sharing a fag, after lighting it one of us must have put the lit match back in the box. She came for us like a banshee when the match box ignited, the trick was not to let her recognise you, we legged it out of the fire door as we didn't want a ban. :hihi:

It was in town, I think The Union St or The Hippodrome.

Archived