The York pub, Broomhill - now closed - what is going to happen to it?

colleen

Lets put it this way, I know what was SUPPOSED to be happening with the place...but, as with anything in this economic climate, sometimes it doesnt work out as planned, so im just waiting to hear about the next development.

And as for me only trying to boost my ego - I have no need to, its big enough already :hihi:

The current freehold owners of the buildiing are Thornsett properties, a local company specializing in student accomodation. It was requested that this information be withheld from publication during the contract exchange period only. I see no reason, now we have fully disposed of the premises, to not publish this information.

The premises will NOt be demolished, it is part of a preservation area. However, the interior is NOt protected and can be altered or changed as required. The external appearance may not be significantly altered.

It is my understanding the ground floor will likely be a 'lock-up' restauraunt facility, whilst the rest will be given to private accommodation. There are no planning applications for any change of use currently submitted for this property. It is currently fully secured and empty and possibly will remain so for some time I would guess.

It wants closing down last time I went in a few weeks ago the kitchen door was left open,dirty floors,rubbish behind worktops, a joint of meat left out uncovered other food left out but covered, special offers, blackboards more blackboards, staff miserable, whole place generally grubby. Wonder why there was no customers?

We were in the process of stripping the place of all F and F before the deadline day...there was a great deal to do.....we were actually only informed of the actual handover day a very short time before, so time was precious to get the business fully wrapped up and boxed.

I can't see a way a new pub can be made to work, Sure there are things the previous landlord could have done better, but I can see the idea, which was to make it different from the other pubs in Broonhill and appeal to a wider audience. I guess ideally you want a pub that is half The Ranmoor Inn, whilst also being half Scream. Impossible. The York is a big old building that must cost a lot in rent / mortgage and in rates, and I just don't see how you can attract enough people to it to pay for itself. Smaller pubs such as The Tav might be ok, but the York is just too big and expensive to run I reckon..

SPOT ON SIR!!!! No, The York could never work as a pub again, taking it on was a mistake for us, but then again, its important to make mistakes to learn from them. The true impact of the credit crunch did not really hit until April this year, last Summer when we signed contracts for the York the economy was far more stable thatn it became 6 months later. The site is far too big to work as a pub, and yes, the running costs are sky high, business rates being the real killer in this area. Brommhill DOES have too many pubs, six in fact, and I see the number reducing even more quite soon!

I think I read, and it could have been on the forum that the landlord sold the building and its not going to be a pub. Not surprised the staff looked miserable, pretty hard to motivate yourself if you are working out notice.

An offer was made that could not be refused. In this economic climate, the chances of another one like it were extremely remote.

Maybe the customers were put off by the fact the landlord used to do his joinery work inside the pub whilst folk just wanted to drink??

In an already struggling economic climate maybe this was a little silly to do inside a boozer???

Interesting point but the place was a total bombsite when we bought it, so much needed doing, and in order to get it open ASAP it meant work was ongoing. We had a whole ceiling come down in february this year due to flooding, and this took ages to sort out properly.....and various other fixtures were shot to hell and kept falling down so it was a real battle to keep the place tidy. Glad to be rid of it, the building needs MILLIONS spending on it, it really does....

Interesting point but the place was a total bombsite when we bought it, so much needed doing, and in order to get it open ASAP it meant work was ongoing. We had a whole ceiling come down in february this year due to flooding, and this took ages to sort out properly.....and various other fixtures were shot to hell and kept falling down so it was a real battle to keep the place tidy. Glad to be rid of it, the building needs MILLIONS spending on it, it really does....

I thought that it was a "gold-mine", with a "68% gross profit margin" and "£10k per week trade" in term-time? Or so I read on the Forum back in July.

I thought that it was a "gold-mine", with a "68% gross profit margin" and "£10k per week trade" in term-time? Or so I read on the Forum back in July.

the profit margin is correct (based on our costs at the time)...even so, after considerable number crunching and surveyors/planning, it was not worth the long term investment required to bring the remainder of the building up to scratch, inc the derelict 2nd floor, a huge scale investment given its size. ......it was easier and cheaper to dispose of it and let someone else inherit the restoration costs, which even if done at a BASIC level, is going to cost hundreds of thousands.....there are easier ways to make money!

Archived