The York pub, Broomhill - now closed - what is going to happen to it?

colleen

I'm convinced there must be more to the KFC story; there are two perfectly good takeaways next to it that seem to be doing very well, so I doubt that location would have struggled for trade............. There must have been some serious mismanagement going on there, either by the franchise holder or the owner of the premises.

Anyone know?

This thread made me laugh! As a student I worked at the Broomhill store of KFC - from '98 to '01. There was nothing untoward going on and the guy who owned it also owned quite a few others in the Sheffield/Rotherham area, and I assume he still does (they're still going anyway). This store wasn't doing great when I was there and presumably the owner eventually decided to let it go. I think originally there were attempts for an expansion (which would have been great because one of the problems with this store was the layout and the size of the seating area), but they never got anywhere.

Yes there are plenty of students in Broomhill after takeaway food and a Friday/Saturday night would be busy all night, but any mid week night would be dead. Days would drag too. I think its main problem was that so many of the other takeaways are so much cheaper. When that millennium chip shop it really hit KFC. They were soooooo cheap and were trying to copy the KFC style meals.

Yes, there was certainly a better variety of shops, many of which were independent.

Names which come to mind when I think of the old Broomhill (prior to traffic lights with most junctions featuring zebra crossings and yes, when you could turn in to practically any road when driving).

Price Of Broomhill - A main store (now Oxfam) and a smaller kid's store near to the travel agent;

Pink Panther - Top nosh restaurant, although I never went in it;

Mac Market - Whose lift doors were always blocked by cardboard boxes;

Sine Electrical / Williamson's Hardware / Abbey Glenn;

Wasn't there a Grainger's off-license on the corner of Spooner Road?

Nottingham Building Society, Rolls Royce Car Dealership on Peel Street.

And my parents bought me loads of shoes from Clark's, on Glossop Road.

I suspect we were traversing the streets of Broomhill at a similar time Ouse :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are Thornsett behind the closure of Shake Club and the adjoining hairdressers too? Shake management said it was due to work taking place on flats upstairs, but this week builders installed a toilet in the middle of the shop floor and then proceeded to erect a partition wall in the shop window. It'll be a big waste if the shop window's just bricked up and we get another dead or utterly bland frontage like the umpteen letting/consulting agencies, but it looks like that might be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on Saturday that the plan for the York is that the upper levels will be student flats, and the ground floor is going to be a bar.

Got this from a good source too - a friend of the people who've bought it. So fingers crossed it will be back with us soon.

Archived