Jarvis Cocker/Mansfield Road Information?

liamwhit

Hi, i am currentlly doing a project for college on Jarvis Cocker's early years (14-20 years old).

As he lived on Mansfield Road, S12, I would be very appreciative if anyone from that area could share any information with me about his early life no matter how small or insignificant it might seem or maybe some one you know lives there and might remember something.

I have been researching for months but there is no in depth information about this time in his life anywhere, so i might aswell be the first to find it.

Also, I would really like to find out the location of his house, but more importantly, his garage (if it is still there) as this is where pulp was formed as i would love to take some pictures. I have tried looking for it 3 times,

Here is a link to the picture:

acrylicafternoons (dot) com/images/rch9.jpg

Thanks,

Liam :)

The Cockers lived in what was considered to be the poshest house in Intake, with a walled garden you could only see into from the top deck of the 95 bus, Pulp's early practices could be heard coming from the side of the house as you walked down Foxwood Rd from Mansfield Rd. They played covers like 'House of the Rising Sun' and treated us to them in the City School assembly hall at lunchtime. They had promotional gold stickers made up saying “Arabacus Pulp Are Damn Good”.

Jarvis was thought to be very clever; the teachers would embarrass him by pointing out to everyone that he had an IQ in the 140s. Pulp borrowed equipment from the school music department to do their early Peel Session. Pulp took their eventual direction (Bowie/synthpop) and theatrical stagecraft from contemporary school band the Electric Armpits, possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

He did live in the flat round the back of the newsagents opposite the Embassy, with his mum Christine and sister Saskia. The big house was his grans, she owned most of the shops on Mansfield road as well as the old D.I.Y shop Hoylands (closed down years ago). His uncle Ralph is still the local undertaker. I think he inherited his artistic streak from his mum,she was an artist and model i believe,lovely lady i havent seen since she moved to Woodsetts, and she has a house in France too.

• 12 years later...

My name is Susan my partner and I  lived in a flat above the diy shop belonging to Christine  she was our landlady. We lived there for 20 years. Sadly my partner passed away in February this year. 

Edited by susan567
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, Jarvis the ligger did live on Stanhope Road. End of Jarvis information!

Other information: Stanhope Road had a great chip chop many moons ago. It was situated in the corner where the road (coming from Mansfield Road end) takes a left turn to make the road sort of L-shaped. That end of the road leads to Hollinsend Road.