How things change.

Texas

Dripping on home made bread oooooh my mouths watering now. Massive joints of beef that made all that dripping and Sunday tea time sitting round the fire listening to the wireless. I can remember having to stand at the window and count how many sacks of coal the coal man delivered Mum didn't want to be short changed. Also around this time of year we used to make Christmas trimmings out of the milk bottle tops. Also the red rings that we all had round our legs from wellies girls didn't wear trousers then and it was freezing. Big coal fires that had to be lit every morning to get the house warm and were also great for making toast. I can remember when Mum had a new cooker with a grill that did toast now you just shove bread in a toaster without a second thought. Oh yes things have definitely changed.
yes i had for got about counting the bags of coal and watching the window cleaner seeing he didnt miss the corners and the hours spent making paper chains and burning your legs in front of the fire till they all red yes such fun if you gave kids bread and dripping today you would be in court for cruelty but i still say our days were more fun on less money

yes i had for got about counting the bags of coal and watching the window cleaner seeing he didnt miss the corners and the hours spent making paper chains and burning your legs in front of the fire till they all red yes such fun if you gave kids bread and dripping today you would be in court for cruelty but i still say our days were more fun on less money

Must agree with you.Money didn`t matter to us in those days.Home from school home made bread cake with dripping on and out to play on the street until just before dark.Great.

With regard to the knocker uppers,

We had one in our village and his nickname was Pester ,you can guess why.

well he was paid sixpence a week by his clients and as one o you said they were mostly colliers, he had a clothes prop and used to knock on the guys window with it, if after 3 knocks he saw no light on he would go on to the next call.now to change the drift a bit

when I was a young lass (adored by my dad) cause I was the only girl with 4 brothers,

when I went to kiss him goodnight, he always said see thi int mornin,

so years after, talkin to mum I asked "Y does dad never say good night".

she said " one night when he was on night shift, he passed a fellow collier int entry, and said goodnight Alf,next day when he got home from pit he heard "alf " dropped dead at top of the entry at 9.45 that night,

since then Dad had never said goodnight to anyone.

Jean

Can someone tell me the name of the huge Ballroom in Sheffield in the 50/60's

was it the Lyceum,\

I know we used to go to the City Hall for live shows.

used to go to this ballroom once a month and hang out with some famous people back then, I used to work in Shefield

cant name names for fear of libel, some stories I could tell

Jean

During the latest cold snap me and the OH have been recalling how, when we were kids, the paths and pavements would be covered with the ashes from peoples coal fires. I can remember my Mum lighting the fire with sheets of the old, full size Star made into twists. Then she would put more sheets of the paper against the fire guard to encourage the fire to draw. Oh how good toast was made with a twisted metal toasting fork then covered in lashings of real butter.( Homer Simpson style drooling !!) would I swap my lovely central heating to go back to having to have a little oil lamp burning in the outside lavvy to stop it from freezing? give over !

Oh how I would love a cold snap

all it entails here in OZ is putting a jumper on, I have not worn a coat since 1972 and I have a lovely Beaver Lamb fur coat in the wardrobe, which I will not part with till I die, cos my Mum brouht it over for me in 1977, we dont have to worry about lavvies freezing only that they have enough water to flush , because of our droughts

Jean

What a Lovely Thread !I worked at Treeton till 1979 and met some wonderful colourful character's !!

With regard to the knocker uppers,

We had one in our village and his nickname was Pester ,you can guess why.

well he was paid sixpence a week by his clients and as one o you said they were mostly colliers, he had a clothes prop and used to knock on the guys window with it, if after 3 knocks he saw no light on he would go on to the next call.now to change the drift a bit

when I was a young lass (adored by my dad) cause I was the only girl with 4 brothers,

when I went to kiss him goodnight, he always said see thi int mornin,

so years after, talkin to mum I asked "Y does dad never say good night".

she said " one night when he was on night shift, he passed a fellow collier int entry, and said goodnight Alf,next day when he got home from pit he heard "alf " dropped dead at top of the entry at 9.45 that night,

since then Dad had never said goodnight to anyone.

Jean

Archived