How things change.

Texas

Hi Rob

and welcome,

have to talk now as I have friends over and they have brought grog so probably soon I will be incapable of iterating anything sensible,New Years and all that, so can I say A very Happy New Year to you all on this forum,

luv to yas all

Jean

Can someone tell me the name of the huge Ballroom in Sheffield in the 50/60's

was it the Lyceum,\

I know we used to go to the City Hall for live shows.

used to go to this ballroom once a month and hang out with some famous people back then, I used to work in Shefield

cant name names for fear of libel, some stories I could tell

Jean

Are you thinking of the Lacarno at the bottom of London Road or the Cutlers Hall opposite the cathedral.

Can someone tell me the name of the huge Ballroom in Sheffield in the 50/60's

was it the Lyceum,\

I know we used to go to the City Hall for live shows.

used to go to this ballroom once a month and hang out with some famous people back then, I used to work in Shefield

cant name names for fear of libel, some stories I could tell

Jean

topaz1v. It could be the Locarno ballroom you are thinking of which was situated at the bottom of the Moor, on London Road. They also held dances in both the Cutlers' Hall and the City Hall in the City centre.

It being New Years Eve, I'm going to get this typed while I'm in a fit state. When you are raising your glass this evening give a thought about the wine you're drinking.

This is another one of my pet cynicisms. Everybody drinks wine nowadays to a greater or a lesser degree, of course unless they're teetotal. Before things changed and made a lot of people dypsos we couldn't afford wine. We never thought of wine, unless we were Catholics. Everybody drank beer. Now it's wine. Even I do, but actually I'll drink anything. Now, I'm no wine buff, it's red or white, but where do all these wines we see in the Supermarkets come from? Do you believe what it says on the bottles? I think a great deal of it is out of the same vats and they just stick on a different label. Sorry you wine lover you.

Take Champagne. Before things changed Champagne was out of sight except for very special occasions. Now you can get a bottle for a tenner. Nah, I don't believe it.

Happy New Year to all anyhow.

Texas.

It being New Years Eve, I'm going to get this typed while I'm in a fit state. When you are raising your glass this evening give a thought about the wine you're drinking.

This is another one of my pet cynicisms. Everybody drinks wine nowadays to a greater or a lesser degree, of course unless they're teetotal. Before things changed and made a lot of people dypsos we couldn't afford wine. We never thought of wine, unless we were Catholics. Everybody drank beer. Now it's wine. Even I do, but actually I'll drink anything. Now, I'm no wine buff, it's red or white, but where do all these wines we see in the Supermarkets come from? Do you believe what it says on the bottles? I think a great deal of it is out of the same vats and they just stick on a different label. Sorry you wine lover you.

Take Champagne. Before things changed Champagne was out of sight except for very special occasions. Now you can get a bottle for a tenner. Nah, I don't believe it.

Happy New Year to all anyhow.

Texas.

happy new year to you too! says she whilst opening a party 7..:D

Thanks for replies, yes it was the Locarno.ditzy me, well you are all ragin I suppose,, I woke at 8 this mornin with a wee hang over but a glass of water and 2 little tablets soon put me right.

av a good one

Jean

I remember road sweepers on the Manor Estate in the 50s, a couple of blokes with brooms and a horse and cart with big wheels. Ginger beer in stone flagons from the pop man. Bread gives me indigestion now but bread and beef dripping with salt on it has to be the world's finest delicacy, especially in the summer when you're 8 years old and sat on the porch lav reading the Beano.

Must agree with you.Money didn`t matter to us in those days.Home from school home made bread cake with dripping on and out to play on the street until just before dark.Great.

Does money matter to kids these days? Money didn't matter to me as a child, but I suspect it was a good few decades after these memories.

According to the official figures we have more leisure time these days than we've ever had before, I'm sure it was brilliant having no central heating and a toilet down the garden... But I wouldn't choose to have the world revert to that.

Archived