Do you remember the fletchers bread van?

craigmason

I worked there from 1998-2003 ish, anyone who hasn't worked there in the 'good old days' would never understand the laughter, humiliation and general larking around that used to go on, some of which I dare say is unpostable on SF:hihi:

Remembering the good times 1978-1998. From van lad to LGV drivers / bakers / confect /donuts /scones / stores and all other departments. I was thinking about some of the things we got up to that you could not get away with now. We all worked hard and long hours but we played hard. I have heard about the bakery now. I realy am sad.

There is an earlier thread about Fletchers Bakeries

see link below

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=535524

My mum used to send me out to the van, and I used to wait ages and ages for it to move from the top of our road. I too used to wonder what took him so long! And the lady later got divorced. The lovely smell of that van is what I remember most. We always had the same thing - a medium white sliced and a small wholemeal (for mum), and a cream cake for Friday teatime. And I'd forgotten all about elephants' feet! OOh. :D

• 7 months later...
Iloved the wheaten loaves too and the jam and cream doughnuts were to die for. I also remeber that a van used to park outside school at lunch time and he did a roaring trade.

I too remember the Fletcher's wheaten brown loaves. I'm going back to the 60's or 70's. The best bread ever. All you needed on it was butter. I don't suppose anyone knows if there is anything similar available these days ?

• 1 month later...

i worked for fletchers bread when i was 17 as a van lad driver was a lazy git and left all the loading to me when it was time for breakfast in the canteen he wanted to set off and get the round done early not giving me any time to get any breakfast when i got to 19 i was told i was to old to be a van lad and there was no chance of getting trained up as adriver just cheap labour thats all the vav lads were

I think "Better Fetch A Fletcher's Loaf" was the real jingle!

"Fresh as tomorrow, Good for you ,Good for me ,Don't wait til tomorrow, Better fetch a Fletcher loaf"

One of my brother's drove for Fletchers, and one drove for the B&C,the B&C had fresh cream buns to die for :|

Archived