Do you remember the fletchers bread van?

craigmason

use to work for weetabix bread in the early 60s back then it was them or sunblest it was very hard & hot work but the money was very good,learnt a lot about real bread not the batter slop poured into 90% of cans today I seem to think Lyons of London? came out with that crap today the only bread we buy is sugar free Italian or French u know something that gos stale in a couple of days

• 4 weeks later...
Oh yeah, apple charlottes were my favourite, with the very white synthetic cream:)

If memory serves me the bread came in, red and white (thin) green and white (medium) and blue and white (thick) The wrappers that is, not the bread:)

When I was a kid in the 70's, we used to get chip butties in the hols from The Three Feathers Pub on Bowden Wood and they came wrapped in Fleatchers Bread wrappers. They were greaseproof paper then tho', not plastic bags

• 2 weeks later...
So who is old enough to remember the fletcher's bread van that used to come round ???

There is a book about G.H.Fletcher , the founder of the dynasty . It makes very interesting reading . It had a forward by a man by the name of " Youel " , ( I think that was the spelling ) . It gives the reason for the colour of the vans ( red ) and the purpose for which they were used other than delivering bread .

I think that may have been sunblest. The depot fronted on to Penistone road .

Hi Mike, I think you may be right but sure i saw Fletchers vans parked in there. Did you ever live in that area I used to know a boy called Mike Batty 1950s went to Blackpool with my mum&dad & me?

Hi Mike, I think you may be right but sure i saw Fletchers vans parked in there. Did you ever live in that area I used to know a boy called Mike Batty 1950s went to Blackpool with my mum&dad & me?

Hi tinytingle . Fletchers may have used the depot but can,t be sure .

I used to live on the springs but went to Chaucer . I do remember going to Blackpool on a number of occasions with my parents. My dad used to play cricket for Hope and Anchor on Claywheels lane . Doe's that ring a bell ?

Archived