Do you remember the fletchers bread van?

craigmason

i remember when the van used to pull up outside our house on yew lane and mi' mother would treat me to a bilberry tart (them little 'uns in tinfoil) or a doughnut ,and also fletchers wheaten brown loaves ( bloody lovely !!!!! )

Me,I used to help him when I was a kid deliverying up Ecco,used to be stuffing my face with custards whilst he was deliverying to certain houses,god he was ages in some,wonder what he was doing:huh:
would that have been breadman dave? or daves pantry as he was later known?

I used to drive one on the Rotherham round (1966-7), a Bedford Dormobile. They used to make us sell the previous days loaves so we placed them on the engine cowl (inside the cab) to warm them up, but some customers suspected! We used to have an excellent breakfast for next to nothing back in the canteen. The bakery on Claywheels lane was very big and I remember the flocks of sparrows that appeared to fly around the steel roof beams, obviously feeding on the many crumbs on the floor.

Archived