Andre' Bernard,Mayfair Hairdressers,100 The moor 1960 to 1966.

Mayfair Salon owners Andre' Bernard were the first 'super salon' to open in Sheffield in late 1959.The place was a perfumed palace. With 8 male stylists and 4 female, 14 juniors,3 colourists,3 receptionists,2 manicurists,a cafe,and beautician.We were three times the price of main competitors, George France on Chapel Walk,and Marjorie Dalton of West Street.Sheffield's elite ladies had never seen the type of service offered before and the salon was always very busy.Every morning and afternoon the shop was sprayed with Je Reviens perfume. Managed by Director (Mr) Howard Marks and later succeded by well known Sheffield artist (Mr) William Kirby.I started as an apprentice in Feb: 1960 and left in 1966 to start my own salons on Ecclesall Rd, and Abbeydale Rd.Ahhh !! Great days,

Would love to hear from anyone who worked there or clients who remember the salon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rembered my gran used to go Andre Bernards and she used to take me along but I had to sit very quietly and not mess around as she used to say that I would be in trouble. It used to amaze me how it smelt so nice and not like any other hairdressers. Unfortunately I think my Gran had a falling out as she most frequently did with people and ended up going to George France.

My Mum used to go there , but I think it relocated to above the hole in the road somewhere, perhaps Arundel gate?I don't know as I was young when I went with my Mother.I too had to sit and be good, my Mum had a stylist called Mr. Michael who later went on to open his own salons.He was always very nice!

Ohh lucky you. I always wanted to get my haircut at Andre Bernards when I was a girl but my Mum wouldn't let me. She used to take me to Roger Sherwoods which was upstairs in the big building on the corner looking over the hole in the road. She always said we got a good sensible haircut at a sensible price :(

Did my apprentiship there and also worked as a stylist aftrewards,went to ''George France'' after that, down Chapple walk.always wanted to play profesional football,and eventually realised that but had to go to Australia to do it there.After my playing career finished opened a chain of salons in Australia, where I still live. retired from work about 12 years ago but still do a bit of crimmping as a mens hairdressers,in what I call my sheltered work shop. Foothair

Hi Clive,

I seem to remember you,I think you were one of my Juniors.My own junior, (Anne) cried when you were appointed to me for a week, so I think you relented and let her come back to me.

When I was at AB's there was another hairdresser there named Martin who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies if my memory serves me correctly.Wonder where he is now?

Some other names you may recall were;-all Mr's of course, Stuart, Paul,Ian,Graham, Franklyn (Now deceased), Stephen, (Splutters)Enrique,

,Michael,Colin,William,Howard,Tony,(Andre',& Bernard,who came up every week from London),Receptionists were Pam and Celia. Jane, Marion and Elaine P/w's, Manicurist Vicki.

Girl stylists;-Liz, Lynne(Keith Ellis's wife). Jackie,Linda,Sheila,(Barbara, Christine Clements,& Terry all P/w's) Pat in the kitchen,Christine in the Treatment Room.

Juniors;- Penny, Anne, Little Christine (Tina)

Beryl,Tracy.Cathy,Jill,Jenny,Sally,Judy.Richard,Paula,Lynn,Nigel,Michelle(manicurist),Eric and Helen,the cleaners.Tommy Machin ( cockles and mussels)and his wife in the kitchen.

There were very many more, you will be able to remember some of them.All the best and

Keep rockin' fella.!!

Edited by WhiteFender

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

I used to work at Andre Bernards in the early 70s at the Grosvenor Hotel Charter Square. So many happy memories. As  apprentices  we were responsible for the salon being ready to welcome clients at 8:50. 

I still meet up we special fiends I worked with going back down memory lane. 

Such great people. 

£3.75 train fare and £3.50 per week. Would I do it all over again I most certainly would.

I have my mother to thank as she used to go there to have her hair done with Liz. 

The atmosphere was amazing. Standard of hairdressing exceptional. 

On 16/07/2013 at 06:26, WhiteFender said:

Thanks for the interest and question. I only worked in London and Sheffield so never knew Paul.Have you tried Facebook.

On 02/01/2010 at 23:31, whitehorses said:

My Mum used to go there , but I think it relocated to above the hole in the road somewhere, perhaps Arundel gate?I don't know as I was young when I went with my Mother.I too had to sit and be good, my Mum had a stylist called Mr. Michael who later went on to open his own salons.He was always very nice!

Michael was a manager at Andre Bernards he later opened Michael M. I enjoyed working with him and being trained by him