Old relatives the Kitsons

tosh13

Hi I have relatives called the Kitson's,my Great Uncle Teddy Kitson & my Grandma Kitson are all I can recall,my Uncle Teddy was a big man & he sat in front of the fire with a oxygen bottle at his side,that is all that I can recall,it is over 40yrs since I last saw my relatives.Thanks

There were two Kitsons in Owlerton.

One was a garage opposite the Wednesday football ground at the bottom of Herries Rd which was owned by the Kitsons.

The other Kitson family had a corner shop with a local milk round, the shop was on the corner of Dutton Road and Harewood Road opposite Hillsborough Park before they built the Baths there.

Hope this info helps. Good look in your search

Happy Days!

Originally posted by PopT

The other Kitson family had a corner shop with a local milk round, the shop was on the corner of Dutton Road and Harewood Road opposite Hillsborough Park before they built the Baths there.

Happy Days!

I think you'll find that was Buttery's shop....Old Mrs Kitson lived next door on Harewood Rd. She had a daughter, Dorothy, who married Jim Pryor and lived next door to us on Lofthouse Rd.

Royal Regular

I still own a metal milk check bought from the Kitsons corner shop with the name impressed into it

Maybe this was issued some years before the Buttery's had the shop?

I believe these houses were built around 1860's but I could be wrong.

Any info would be appreciated

Happy Days!

Originally posted by PopT

Royal Regular

I still own a metal milk check bought from the Kitsons corner shop with the name impressed into it

Maybe this was issued some years before the Buttery's had the shop?

I believe these houses were built around 1860's but I could be wrong.

Any info would be appreciated

Happy Days!

PopT....having spoken to my mother, you're right. Mrs Kitson had the shop before Mrs Buttery and sold it to her around 1955. My mother specifically remembers this cos while pregnant with my sister, she fainted in the shop and Mrs Buttery gave her some brandy.

I think the houses may have been slightly later than 1860 as my grandmother moved into one on Lofthouse when it was new, around 1900.

Thanks for the update, Royal Regular you have inadvertantly helped me with my family history.

They did live on Lofthouse road and could not trace them earlier than the 1900's

Happy Days!

Archived