The azena ballroom gleadless sheffield.

deano

Hi , thanks for the reply, could be £250 waiting for you on you'v e been framed for that one!. I lived on Lister Crescent at that time but moved away from Sheff many years ago, Drove along White lane last year - it was like the flippin M1! what happened to sleepy Gleadless!?.

• 2 years later...

‎49 years ago today, 4 young lads from Liverpool came to Gleadless. It is now a popular story and has entered the annals of folklore. Stringfellow had booked The Beatles to play at his relatively small Black Cat Club held regularly in St Aiden’s Church Hall on City Rd, but as the band erupted into a global phenomenon, it became apparent that demand for tickets would very quickly outstrip supply, and so Pete, ever mindful of making a few shillings, began to search for a larger venue. He eventually made an agreement with owners of the Azena dance hall on White Lane, (now the Gleadless Co-Op!) and after an exchange of £25, the concert was switched, and while the exact number of attendees is disputed, all agree it was well over the five hundred limit recommended by the fire authorities.

...quite a large feature in the "My Kind of Town" mag (issue 4 , out now) with several pics inside and out of the Azena and its owners back then - plus of course the Beatles connection!

Edited by bracken

Does anybody know where i can obtain a picture of the azena when it was in its heyday?(beatles played there in 1963) Searched the net,picture sheffield ect with no luck.Spent many hours playing around the derelict building when i was a kid,in fact i've been in there today,its a co-op,but would love to see a reminder of how it looked.

yes i remember the beetles playing there as for photos if you go on sheefield councils photo archive there are loads of photoss of sheffield around the 60s there are some books with it in

I wrote that too :)

Hi,just wondered if the article or any pictures are available to view online?

Been searching for years for external shots of the azena,either in its heyday or when it stood derelict before becoming a supermarket (around the time i used to play there as a kid)...i can remember the azena sign,could swear it was red,but some pictures would be great.

• 10 months later...