The new 101 telephone service

Its not the case that housing organisations won't take a case to court without substantial evidence, its more realistic to say they CAN'T take a case to court without substantial evidence.

As court action is the last resort, as well as eviction being the ultimate sanction available to the social landlord, housing organisations are obliged to demonstrate to the court that the action is both justified and reasonable. This means giving the nuisance household several warnings and explaining to them why their behaviour is in breach of tenancy conditions. This way people have a chance to modify their behaviour. Occasionally making people aware that they are causing a nuisance is enough to nip the problem in the bud, though not in the vast majority of cases. Sometimes it is necessary to put support measures in place in order to help the household modify their behaviour.

All this needs to be done before seeking an eviction. Court cases are expensive and it is important to make sure every step has been taken to modify behaviour, otherwise the court will not see the action as being reasonable and dismissing the case-the end result being a huge cost to the public purse and no resolution to the original problem.

So, as has already been stated, it is the case that housing organisations won't take the case to court without substantial evidence.

And it is the case that the process will take ages.

I agree. im sick to death on the teenagers ruining the streets. Causing trouble and making life dangerous. You cant even approach them, as they more likely to get about 30 of em, to beat you to death...something needs to be done, Perhaps the government should concentrate on this, rather than taking children away for forced adoption targets.

Fair or not, these are the processes available to housing organisations thanks to existing civil law. Change needs to happen from the top down, giving greater powers to RSLs and courts actually handing out stricter sentences for breaches of the law-right now there are no real deterrents for persistent offenders, hence more and more people are encouraged to act in an anti social way as there are no real consequences,.

Surely you're over reacting a tad, I appreciate your pregnant and tired and need rest but as you said this was a one off its just one night while their parents are away and you're thinking of getting them evicted from their house??? Bearing in mind you didn't even go round/telephone them and politely ask them to keep it down they probably weren't even aware they were keeping you up!

well thanks for that input dave, great really!

and at 3am, trust me they knew they were keeping most of the street awake. i was responding to a previous poster, who said that once the landlord was aware he evicted them, i was seeking alternates as im pretty sure it wont be that easy. i think i hammered on the walls enough as well. and to be honest, would you go and front up a bunch of 16 & 17 year olds??? didnt think so.

thanks to everyone else for there worthwhile suggestions :)

When this happened to me they asked if it sounded like domestic violence.. I told them that if it would get them to do something then it sounded like domestic violence but other than that it was a blatant party! - No matter how much I told them that they were the neighbours were comitting a crime and that the police were meant to deal with crime - they just kept referring me to Environmental Health. I ended up going round to an understanding mates house at 3am as I had work the next day.

It must depend on which operator you get. A few years ago when I lived at Stocksbridge, they had a party a few doors down which was getting louder and louder,at about 1.30am I called police on the 2202020 and they sent a car out and told them to keep the noise down, result!

It must depend on which operator you get. A few years ago when I lived at Stocksbridge, they had a party a few doors down which was getting louder and louder,at about 1.30am I called police on the 2202020 and they sent a car out and told them to keep the noise down, result!

A few years ago they would come out. Nowadays excessive noise isn't considered a crime and never seems to warrant a visit by the police. Unfortunately, as long as the selfish, braindead morons know they can get away with it, they will carry on. :mad:

the police can do nothing.

I recall an article in the press about a bloke in Hull who had a similar non response from the Police re a burgler in his shed, they said sorry and that no one was available...

He called them back 2 minutes later, saying "it's ok, that burgler in the shed, I've shot him" too which several armed response officers turned up a few minutes later...

When challanged by the Police about his little lie, he responded that he had been lied to about Police availabilty - I'm not sure if he got off with wasting Police time, but the burgler got a shock !