The new 101 telephone service

I phoned them at two in the morning, when my neighbours where blasting there music out with front door open.They said they would forward it to enviromental health. and that they would receiev the complaint and send a diary out. What use is that when i wanna go asleep now. Musis didnt stop till 4am.And i phoned police who did nothing either. The other time i phoned them was when the street lamp on my front was smoking they sent the councill straight out. x

If it happens again, tell them that the action has moved outside. Then they will come.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest confirmation that the Home Office will withdraw funding:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Flagship-scheme-is-set-to.3494308.jp

Flagship scheme is set to be axed

By Sarah Dunn

THE future of a flagship scheme set up in Sheffield by the Government to crack down on anti-social behaviour looks set to fold after the Home Office announced it is axing its funding.

Police and council chiefs claim the 101 non-emergency number has been a success - taking more than 85,000 calls from Sheffield residents since it was set up in 2005.

But the decision to withdraw funding has been made as part of a spending review designed to target resources where they will have the most impact.

Furious Sheffield Council leader Jan Wilson said today: "We have set up a good service and the council believes that ensuring people can report anti-social behaviour is very important.

"I'm quite cross about the decision .Funding is due to stop in April but I shall be doing what I can to lobby the Home Office to protect the service."

The South Yorkshire 101 Partnership today expressed disappointment at the decision.

A joint statement from Assistant Chief Constable Andy Holt and Sheffield Council Assistant Chief Executive Liz Bashforth said:

"There is substantial evidence that the service has had a really positive impact on the lives of people across the city, who previously may not have known where to turn to in order to eradicate anti-social behaviour blighting their local neighbourhoods and communities."

A Home Office spokesman acknowledged the successes in Sheffield - and the other pilot areas of Leicester and Rutland, Cardiff, Northumberland and Tyne and Wear, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - and said it would continue to provide funding for the national telephone infrastructure.

He said: "This will ensure that the number remains available for use by local areas wishing to maintain or develop their own locally funded 101 service. We will also make available the lessons learned and good practice that has been developed."

But he added: "However, it is vital that we target our resources to those areas which will have the greatest impact and which will contribute most to the protection of the public and security of the country.

"Regrettably, it is on this basis that the Home Office will be no longer directly funding the live 101 areas but will work with the 101 partnership to best manage the transition from central funding until 31st March 2008."

The Sheffield 101 partnership is currently assessing its options and is due to make a decision about its future in the next few weeks.

Its statement added that the service would continue to run in the meantime.

I rang on the 4th November to complain about fireworks being thrown into the road at cars, and all I got was:

"Thank you for calling Sheffield City Council/South Yorkshire Police Incident Line, your calls may be recorded (etc etc) We will now connect you to an operator" (quiet moment) then a voice said "Thank you for Calling - goodbye" - tried it twice and got the same message twice.

Thankfully I remembered switchboard was 2202020 and called that.