The new 101 telephone service

I was once knocked off my bike by an erratic bus driver and spent almost 40 minutes as I lay by the side of the road trying to get through to 101 and SYP on 0114 220 2020 to no avail.

In the end I went down to the station later that evening to make a statement in person.

hope your motor bike didn't get damaged

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 15:59 ----------

Why can I never get through to anyone on 101. Does anyone else have the same problem?

101 was created so old people could moan to the police :hihi:

hope your motor bike didn't get damaged

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 15:59 ----------

101 was created so old people could moan to the police :hihi:

Or maybe "Old people" know right from wrong but don't feel the need to ring 999 for trivial matters like the young.:hihi:

Its a crime not an emergency!!

A few years ago I rang the normal number to report what appeared to be a theft in progress (not 999) as I was thinking like you in respect of 999 being for emergencies. I was told by the police that I should have rung 999.

Has the situation become a bit of a grey area for the public now regarding what is classed as an emergncy and what is a non emergency? I understand that the 999 call handlers use their own judgement on which incidents to route as an emergency (or not, as the case may be).

I understand 101 was introduced because of an increase in calls to 999 that were very clearly not an emergency-such as pizzas being delivered cold, or someone missing their last bus.:shakes:

I think a bank robbery or car accident would warrant a 999 emergency call.

I think the clue is in the word 'Emergency' so it does require some common sense. Something the majority of the general public do not have.

But a gang of pickpockets isnt really an emergency. Your just reporting a suspected crime.

Yeah i tried to call them once to let them know of a gang of pickpockets working in Town and i gave up after waiting 15mins!

Surely this was a 'crime in process' so warranted a 999 call

Its a crime not an emergency!!

Information from the Police website re when to use 101 and 999

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/contactus

•In an emergency call 999

•When it's a non-emergency call 101

In an emergency:

999 – Call if life is at risk or a crime is in progress

Non-emergencies:

•101 - For general enquiries or to report a crime that is no longer happening

To paraphrase, 101 is a joke.

I certainly wont be bothering ever again.

20 minute wait to report a untaxed, uninsured vehicle with no MOT regularly being driven up and down my road by multiple people...to be told they will try looking into it but better off informing DVLA if i want it resolved.

Why?! The law was being broken!! What am i paying ridiculous taxes for if i cant expect the police to deal with crime!

Nothing but "really don't care or can be bothered" attitude.

Chased up 3 days later and surprise surprise the issue had not been touched at all.

Never again.

a week or so later it was the DVLA who actually dealt with it.