Cinema Attercliffe

mylee

could anyone tell me the name the cinema that used to be at Attercliff near a canal and the radical not far from woodbourn road my grandma was a cleaner there and I got in free to the saturday kids shows in the 50s. We also went to the Radical as kids with family aunts uncles,happy times

could anyone tell me the name the cinema that used to be at Attercliff near a canal and the radical not far from woodbourn road my grandma was a cleaner there and I got in free to the saturday kids shows in the 50s. We also went to the Radical as kids with family aunts uncles,happy times

I think it was the Regal, at the end of Staniforth Road

And the Globe, but the Regal sounds the most likely doesn't it?

I don't really remember the others very well, Joan. My memories of the cinemas were from when they were well past their heyday, from about 1966 to about 1971. (remembering I'm the same age as your son)

My mother used to walk us from Banners/ Staniforth Road, all the way along Attercliffe common, to Carbrook school/ Carltonville road where my grandpa lived, and I always remember passing the pavilion and the Adelphi, etc, The pavilion, by that time was showing a lot of "Bollywood" type films, and I remember the really gaudily coloured posters outside the cinema for them, as we walked past.

it was certainly the Regal,it was my favourite picture house in the area.I was very lucky living just off the middle of Staniforth road in the 1950s.Just 5 minutes away in one direction were 3 great cinemas,the Balfour,the lyric and the Darnall cinema.I have great memories of them all.However, the Regal always looked the classiest with its green tiled frontage.It was also the only place that showed the Durango kid films at childrens matinees.Happy days.

that would be the regal