Long shot.. Looking for half sister

Hello fellow forummers :)

This is an incredibly long shot but me and my other sisters feel we have hit a brick wall and hope that someone may recognize some of the information I am going to share.

Me and my sisters (4 of us in total) have found out that we have yet another sister out there.. somewhere. We have very few details and those details may not be entirely accurate.

What we do know is in either 1982 or 83 my father fathered a child with a woman (who's name we don't know). This woman was living on kelvin flats at the time. My mother had just had me and had separated from my dad. My mom found out after she gave this lady all my baby things that the child this lady was carrying was also my fathers. My mom moved from kelvin flats soon after, but she did know a few details. The mother of this baby had family members that were running a pub in upperthorpe.. (maybe the upperthorpe arms) we know the baby was a girl and possible called Stacey.

And thats really all the details we know :(

We know more recently she may have lived in walkley (2002-2004 ish) and we also know that she may have been texting my dad.. I cant ask my dad because to be honest he wouldnt answer questions on it..

Our family name is JOEL. She may have even been registered as Stacey Joel.

So if this rings any kind of bells.. or if you knew who the landlord or lady was of the pub at this time that would be great because we want to find her.. SERIOUSLY want to find her.

We can't get any further on our own steam.. Finding things out about people when you don't know much to start with is hard!

Hi - I just checked birth records for 1982-83 and could find no Stacey Joel whose birth was registered in Sheffield at that time. Assuming that you are sure it was 1982 or 1983, girls whose births were registered in the Sheffield district during this two-year period with the surname Joel are Cathy Marie Joel, registered Oct-Dec 1982 (mother's maiden name Bryan), Kerry Joel, registered Jan-Mar 1983 (mother's maiden name Broadbent) and Jemma Ann E. Joel, registered Jul-Sep 1983 (mother's maiden name Harrison). The only Stacey (or Stacy) Joel I could find is a Stacey Leigh F. Joel whose birth was registered in Sheffield in September 1989.

I could not find local 2003 census entries (which would give an address) for any of the three Joel girls born in 1982-83, nor are there any marriage or death records in these names up to 2005/06.

Of course it's possible that the birth was registered with the mother's surname - do you know this?

Anyway good luck in your quest!

Hi Littlestarshine

This is a longshot but worth a mention. Do you know which number flat the mother lived in on the Kelvin Flats? You could look in the electoral registers for the appropriate years to see who was living there. The books can be examined at the Sheffield Local History Library on the 1st floor of the Central library.

I hope this helps you.

Good Luck. PopT

Hi Littlestarshine

This is a longshot but worth a mention. Do you know which number flat the mother lived in on the Kelvin Flats? You could look in the electoral registers for the appropriate years to see who was living there. The books can be examined at the Sheffield Local History Library on the 1st floor of the Central library.

I hope this helps you.

Good Luck. PopT

Oh that is a great idea!!!!

Thankyou!!

After a bit of research I have established that Sheffield Archives (Shoreham Street) keep paper records of "Beerhouse Keepers and Licensed Victuallers".

Perhaps a look through them might help you to establish who was insitu at the Upperthorpe pub at that time. This may not help but on the other hand may give you a name that provides another lead to follow.

You need to be a member to search records, if you want to follow this up take some ID with you, to join, membership and usage is free.

Have you thought about the fact that the birth wasn't registered in your father's name. When I was adopted my birth name was my mothers and not my father's even though she knew who the father was.

Good luck with the search hope it goes well.

Archived