Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

But they're not covering anyone's face either, are they? Totally different argument.

That argument would be about robes and hijaab, I think? Which no-one is arguing about anyway.

ps what is that long coat thing called, please?

Were you going to answer the question I asked anytime in the near future - what does it matter in everyday life such as walking down the street? Is dislike reason enough to make something illegal? If that was the case then everything would be illegal.

If I moved to one of the gulf states where it's a "must", outdoors, then I'd have to go with the flow, but I'd surely be looking to the burqa to keep the sandstorm and sun off me, anyway, as per its design.
The big turban and the long scarf wrapped over your face would be much more becoming though .... I'd love to wear something like that. When I wash my hair and do my turban towel, I always swish about a bit like Laurence of Arabia :D

I really do not understand what you are trying to say. My point is that for security reasons all full head coverings will be banned in England within a decade. This is to protect the security and freedom of the majority. Nobody could argue against protecting the security and freedom of the majority surely!:huh:

Do you think a woman should be allowed to just walk down the street in it to go buy a pint of milk?

The big turban and the long scarf wrapped over your face would be much more becoming though .... I'd love to wear something like that. When I wash my hair and do my turban towel, I always swish about a bit like Laurence of Arabia :D

dunno, ruby... since the other week, when Aleksandr the meerkat hijacked the Lawrence of Arabia look, I've gone off it a bit! ;) ;)

Were you going to answer the question I asked anytime in the near future - what does it matter in everyday life such as walking down the street? Is dislike reason enough to make something illegal? If that was the case then everything would be illegal.
Did you ask me a question? I thought you were ostentatiously avoiding answering my points? :)

It matters because people shouldn't cover their faces in public. Especially when it's a sexist imposition, and one imposed for no obvious reason. So, as I asked you before, would you wear one?

What is it about a burqa that means we automatically have to dive for cover?

It screems out isolation, degridation, sexism, masoginism and not wanting to intigrate.

A slap in the face to all the hard work people have put into womens rights and a security issue in todays western sociaty.

Enough ?

Do we have any Barristers that look in on SF ?? Seems to me that this is a storm in a rather small teacup.. The french have decreed that common law precedes religious law ? :huh:

So are we to be ruled by the law of the land or the law of the chosen religion ?

I give you " let burka / hijab / whatsitsab" wearers by their own accord wear them but if asked by a member of the civils ie; police, ambulance, fire, customs etc... that they remove the garment in a private place for a woman officer to confirm their identity.. no problem if they are not either acting suspect or are on the list of suspects eh ? BOOM.... :huh:

I get asked to remove my helmet on several occasions ... hey.. no problem.. even though it is full clear visor open faced.. ;)

Did you ask me a question? I thought you were ostentatiously avoiding answering my points? :)

It matters because people shouldn't cover their faces in public.

Why not? (other than at airports etc.)

when it's a sexist imposition, and one imposed for no obvious reason.

Surely with all the discussion there has been on this topic you can't honestly still be so ignorant.

So, as I asked you before, would you wear one?

No, personally I would not wear one but I don't think so much of myself as to think they should be banned because of my opinion.